Oxnard restaurants are permitted to temporarily establish outdoor space
to let patrons enjoy their favorite restaurants
at safer distances from other people.
Outdoor Seating Areas
estaurants may establish or expand outdoor seating areas, provided that they:
- maintain Americans with Disabilities Act accessibility;
- are under the control of the restaurant or authorization has been obtained (such as from landlord);
- comply with all Ventura County Environmental Health regulations; and
- comply with any relevant Department of Alcohol Beverage Control regulations.
Outdoor dining areas may be established in the public rights of way, such as sidewalks, upon prior approval of the City’s Community Development Director or designee.
Anything added to public sidewalks shall not impede sight distances, access to utilities, and shall address safety from vehicles. The use of City streets for expanded dining may be allowed subject to a Temporary Use Permit with prior consultation with City departments.
Converted Parking Areas
Outdoor dining areas may include converted parking areas, provided:
- the reduced business occupancy with COVID 19 rules supports these conversions; and
- the City's Community Development Director or designee determines that the conversion can be accomplished safely.
Read the Director Order