The long-standing tradition of celebrating Halloween on October 31, from 3 pm to 8 pm, continues this year
Considering ongoing health concerns due to COVID-19, the Village of Lake Zurich encourages families to celebrate safely and take proper precautions.
We understand that some may not be comfortable in participating in trick-or-treat this year and request the use of the porch light to signal your intentions. Please respect those that keep the light off and teach children not to ring their doorbell.
Promoting a spooky and safe experience, we urge walkers and individuals passing out candy to keep these guidelines in mind:
- Do not participate in trick-or-treat if you or a member of your household is not feeling well; if you have recently returned from a hotspot state; if you are waiting for COVID-19 test results or know that you have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Turn on your porch light as the signal to welcome trick-or-treaters.
- Face coverings should be worn by all participants over the age of two, including individuals passing out treats.
- Trick-or-Treat as a household, avoiding groups of others.
- Frequently use hand sanitizer and sanitize high touch points such as a doorbell. When possible, use a motion activated decoration to announce trick-or-treaters.
- Consider individually packaged treat bags rather than a communal candy bowl. Ask children what type of candy they would like in place of letting them take it themselves.
- Maintain at least 6 feet distance between groups. Where possible, mark walkways with tape or chalk to indicate distance markers and ask children to stand behind the line before opening the door.
- Instead of waiting at the doorway for trick-or-treaters, use a lawn area or driveway to maintain safe distances.
- Do not distribute homemade treats or fresh fruits.
Have a safe and happy Halloween this year.