As you gather with family and friends to celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah and other holidays this season, take a moment to celebrate SDIT too!
A year ago, plans may not have called for this much activity, but 2022 was among the most successful and busy years in the organization's 33-year history.
Across the nation, SDIT members were involved in scores of activities and benefitted from programs for Gold Star families. All this activity was driven by the purpose of "locating, uniting and supporting" the children of American servicemen who didn't return home from the Vietnam War.
SDIT is very fortunate to have an incredibly dedicated group of Board Members, Advisors and volunteers who volunteered to make all this happen. Thanks to each of them for such generous commitments of time and talent!
Have a joyous and peaceful holiday season!
Sons and Daughters In Touch
Early in 2023, SDIT will make available its updated Impact Report detailing its accomplishments. Click here to view the Impact Report released in early 2022: SDIT Impact Report 2021.
In the meantime, here's a quick review of what SDIT and its members did in 2022:
- Held a regional 'members dinner' in Washington DC hosted by the Gary Sinise Foundation;
- Participated in Vietnam War Veterans Day (March 29) ceremony with military leaders from the Pentagon;
- Joined Vietnam Veterans of America marking the 5th Anniversary of Vietnam War Veterans Day at a ceremony and reception on March 29;
- Placed a wreath at 'The Wall' from all SDIT members on Memorial Day;
- Two SDIT members joined President Biden & First Lady Dr. Jill Biden to plant a Gold Star Tree at the White House on Memorial Day;
- Scores of members joined the Woody Williams Foundation to attend the dedication of Gold Star Families Memorial Monuments across the nation;
- Nearly 100 members and their families attended screenings of the blockbuster film 'Top Gun: Maverick' in New York and Los Angeles;
- On behalf of all members, SDIT placed a wreath at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Father's Day;
- Aided the US Senate in drafting the Gold Star Children's Day Resolution on August 1;
- Supported national POW/MIA Recognition Day on September 17;
- Assembled representatives of 'The Long Gold Line' - Gold Star family members from WWII, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and the War on Terror - to thank the US Senate for declaring the last week of September 'Gold Star Families Remembrance Week';
- Arranged NFL 'Salute to Service' tributes by the Buffalo Bills, Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings & Los Angeles Chargers to honor SDIT's Gold Star and MIA Families;
- More than 100 SDIT members and their families attended the Veterans Day ceremony during the 40th Anniversary of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial;
- Organized a Veterans Day 'meet and greet' reception for SDIT member families which was held in Arlington, VA and hosted by the Gary Sinise Foundation;
- Transported 40 SDIT members to the annual Veterans Day ceremony in Arlington National Cemetery which was hosted this year by Vietnam Veterans of America;
- Ensured SDIT was well represented at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund's 'Lifetime Service Award Gala' on November 11;
- Collaborated with the White House to honor 15 SDIT families with personalized ornaments placed on this year's Gold Star Christmas Trees;
- Arranged for 25 SDIT Family members to attend the White House Holiday Open House for Gold Star & MIA families;
- Helped plan the Richard Nixon Presidential Library's 'Hometown Heroes' ceremony honoring 'The Long Gold Line' of Gold Star Families;
- SDIT members were again integral in placing and decorating the Christmas Tree at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial;
- On December 28, SDIT families are again being hosted by the Woody Williams Foundation at the Liberty Bowl Game in Memphis, TN;
For SDIT and its members, it was a very good year!