Labor Day Weekend is fast approaching and that means just 24 days to "FALL". The days will be getting shorter and cooler. As you are reading this latest edition of our Newsletter hopefully you are thinking of the many changes that will be coming up in the next few months and the many plans you will be making for you and your family. You will think about having to retrieve coats and gloves from the back of closets, and, perhaps reluctantly, cast your minds forward to the flurry of holiday tasks ahead; not always recalling that with the descent of winter, the problem of homelessness becomes more urgent. Here at North Georgia Interfaith Ministries we know that winter is the hardest time for our homeless community. We also know only too well that winter brings with it cold and flu season. Some families will miss work because they are sick or because their child is sick.
This becomes a major concern and they are riddled with fears such as,
How will I afford medicine...or gas to go to the doctor's office? Missing work means a short paycheck so I will not have enough money for my rent and/or utilities. My husband works in construction...What will the weather be like? Will he get laid off? How will I afford to provide for my children? Will I lose my home and end up homeless? Where will I go?
These are just some of the many thoughts that lay heavy on the minds of the population we serve. Keeping that in mind, at our transitional housing facility Jeremiah's Place, we believe success is more than just statistics. Our program provides a safe, temporary home. We provide individuals and families with the services, resources, and tools they need to end their homelessness and transition into safe and stable housing. Our goal is to help families make this journey in the best and fastest way possible. As the Fall and Winter approaches, how can you make a difference to these families in "OUR" community?
Give warm winter clothes.
- Warm coats, scarves, hats, gloves and blankets are always needed for our families.
- We have several upcoming events where you can volunteer!
- One Time Donation - Our programs are busiest during the winter months. More people are coming in for referral services, clothing, and shelter. You can support our staff on the front lines by making a special donation during the winter months.
- Recurring Donation - Partner with NGIM by signing up to provide a monthly recurring donation.
Donate items for our Care Bags such as:
- Can opener
- Tuna and crackers
- Granola Bar
- Fruit snack or applesauce cup
- Peanut butter or cheese crackers
- Hand wipes
- Maxi pads
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Nail clippers
- Band Aids
- Comb or small brush
- Mints, cough drops or gum
Wishing you all a safe and blessed "Labor Day" weekend.