March 10, 2020
As a preventive health agency, Beach Cities Health District (BCHD) focuses on improving the health and well-being of residents and is monitoring the outbreak of respiratory illness caused by the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
On March 9, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LACDPH) reported it was investigating two additional cases of COVID-19. One case traveled through Japan. One case has an unidentified source of exposure, therefore LACDPH has determined this is the first possible case of community transmission in LA County.
BCHD is following guidance from the LACDPH and
recommends that the following groups practice social distancing immediately
and avoid being in close contact with others who are ill:
- Individuals with underlying health conditions such as:
- Heart, lung or kidney disease
- Compromised immune systems
- Older adults (aged 60 years and older)
- Early data suggest older adults are twice as likely to have serious COVID-19 illness. This may be because immune systems change with age, making it harder to fight off diseases and infection. Older adults also are more likely to have underlying health conditions that make it harder to cope with and recover from illness.
Social distancing measures:
- Avoid nonessential travel
- Avoid public gatherings, places where large groups congregate and event venues (large events of 50 people or more)
- Avoid crowds, especially in poorly ventilated spaces
- If you need to go out, stay six feet apart from others at public events
We will continue to monitor the situation and
may cancel events if needed
. The LACDPH recommends all individuals stay home if you are sick, even for mild illnesses, and continue to practice other prevention recommendations such as washing your hands often with soap and water and avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
If a person develops symptoms of COVID-19, and has reason to believe they may have been exposed, they should call their health care provider or local health department before seeking care.