Scripture: In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: "It is more blessed to give than to receive."
This week’s Summer Act of Service involves Crossroads families providing food for
those in and around Panajachel, Guatemala during this crisis. By donating just $5, you can help ensure a family receives the food they need to simply get to the next day. You can make a donation online, or by mail, and designate your gift for Guatemala. It will take everyone to take care of everyone during this pandemic. Let’s all do our part.
In this week’s scripture Paul is speaking to the people in Ephesus, reminding them of all they have learned. The church of Ephesus was learning the importance of serving others, just as we have learned through the book of Acts this summer. This week we will continue to serve those around us by our giving. When you are giving to people, try to think about what you receive by your giving.
General Reflection Questions:
- In what ways have you received from others when the original intent was that you were there to serve them?
- What have you learned about yourself, others, and God during your serve experiences?
- How will you continue to serve God’s creation around you?
Reflection Questions for Families with Students:
- What can you do to raise money to donate to the people of Guatemala? Is there a way you can serve your neighbors while raising the money?
- When you offer help to someone in need, how does that make you feel? Why do you think it makes you feel that way?
Reflections for Families with Children:
- As a family, discuss examples of times you have served others (writing cards for someone, bagging food for the homeless, donating clothing and toys for people without them). How did that make you feel?
- Ask your children to compare the luxuries they have (video games, TV, comfortable place to live and sleep, and enough food to eat) with children in Guatemala. Encourage your children to earn money to donate towards food for the families in Guatemala by performing extra chores around the house.
we thank you for all that we have and all that we are. We recognize Your heart to serve Your people that You have given to us. We thank you for Jesus’ example of unconditional love and service and pray that we can live into a life led by that. We recognize that when we serve others, we are serving You.