February is Heart Health Month!!
Steps to Prevent Heart Disease:
- Get at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity each day.
- Control Cholesterol: cholesterol is a waxy substance used to make cell membranes and hormones. When you have too much bad cholesterol (LDL), it can form plaque in your veins and arteries.
- Eat Better!! Include veggies, fruit, low fat dairy, fiber rich whole grains, and lean meats, including fish. Cut back on sugar, which can trigger inflammation.
- Manage Blood Pressure: staying in healthy range reduces strain on your heart, arteries, and kidneys. High blood pressure, or hypertension, puts pressure on your arteries, stretching them past their healthy limit, causing microscopic tears. Scar tissue develops over the tears and traps plaque which can form into blockages, blood clots, and hardened/weak arteries. Ways to manage blood pressure include: reduce sodium, maintain a healthy weight, manage stress.
- Lose Weight: fat deposit in your midsection puts you at a higher risk for high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and diabetes.
- Reduce Blood Sugar: fasting blood sugar should be below 100. High blood sugar greatly increases risk of heart disease and stroke. Reduce simple sugars to reduce blood sugar.
- Stop Smoking: smoking increases your risk of heart disease and stroke by 2-4 times and shaves 13 years off your life span. Nicotine makes your heart rate and blood pressure sky rocket. It damages your blood vessels and makes your blood sticky- a recipe for blood clots. It lowers your HDL cholesterol, and decreases your tolerance for physical activity. Carbon monoxide and tobacco rob your heart, brain, and arteries of oxygen.
Mayo Clinic Healthy Heart Plan:
Steps for getting started-
Five serving of fruits and veggies per day
Move 10: 10 minutes of moderately intense physical activity added to what you do every day
Sleep 8: 8 hours of sleep per night
Mushroom Barley Soup:
1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
6-1/2 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb (approx. 4 cups)
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp dry sherry (about 2-2.5 oz)
1-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Simmer (covered) the barley in 1-1/2 cups of the
for 20-30 minutes
the olive oil in a large skillet; saute' the onion and green pepper on medium heat for about 5 minutes
Add the garlic, mushrooms and salt
Cover and cook 10-12 minutes
Stir in the
sauce, sherry, and Worcestershire sauce
Add everything to the barley; add the remaining 5 cups of water (You can add some pepper, if you like)
Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes
Number of servings: 8
Oil of the Month
Cypress has a fresh, herbaceous aroma that can promote a sense of security and grounding.
Cypress Essential oil may help with the following:
- Strengthen the capillary walls and increase circulation
- Heal Wounds and Infections
- Treat Cramps and Muscle Pulls
- Aids in Toxin Removal
- Promotes Blood Clotting
- Eliminate Respiratory Conditions
- Natural Deodorant
- Relieves Anxiety
- Treats Varicose Veins and Cellulite
How to Use:
Topical: Apply 2-4 drops directly to desired area. Dilution not required, except for the most sensitive skin. Use as needed. Aromatic: Diffuse up to 1 hour 3 times daily.
If you are reading this, you could win a free 30 minute massage! Please send an e-mail with the subject line "I want to win!" by Feb. 15th to: firstname.lastname@example.org to be entered into our drawing. Caution: Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.
Supplement Of The Month
Cardio-Plus helps support the cardiovascular system.
- Supports the healthy functioning of the heart and other muscles
- Supports healthy coronary blood flow
- Provides ingredients with antioxidant activity
- Contains bovine heart PMG extract
- Supports increased oxygen demand during exercise
- High in antioxidant vitamin C
For more information on Standard Process products, please visit their website:
Dr. Heidi - Jan 10th
Dr. Brent - Jan 24th
By Appointment Only.
Call to schedule.
14030 Bank Street #1
Becker, MN 55308