September 11, 2018
For Immediate Release
Senator Alberta Darling
Help Available for Victims of Severe Weather
Madison - Help is available for victims of the recent storms and flooding.  Governor Scott Walker declared a statewide state of emergency.  Resources are available to help to people affected by the recent severe weather.  State Senator Alberta Darling is encouraging residents to get help as soon as possible.

State agencies offering assistance:
  • Grants to assist with short-term and emergency housing needs are disbursed through a local agent. For more information call (608) 267-5200.
  • Emergency Assistance payments to eligible low-income parents who have at least one child in the house and are facing an emergency due to natural disaster, to learn more about the program, including eligibility and where to apply, visit here.
  • Funding for assisting eligible, low to moderate income homeowners for housing rehabilitation, business assistance, and repair local infrastructure - (608) 266-7531
  • Farmers should contact their local FSA Office to report damaged crops. FSA will also direct farmers to 211 and or the Local/County Emergency Management (EM) Office to report losses not tracked by the FSA. Visit for local FSA office information.
  • Dealing with flooding
  • Cleaning up storm debris
  • Assistance in determining if food can be salvaged - (608) 224-4665 or food complaint emergency response line (608) 224-4714.
  • Complaints of transient home improvement workers and scams can be reported to Contact the Bureau of Consumer Protection at (800) 422-7128 or
  • Motorists are advised to check before traveling
  • Assistance for filing insurance claims can call Office of the Commissioner of Insurance at (800) 236-8517 or
  • To make a request for volunteer assistance, call 2-1-1 and they will confidentially share your information with volunteers that may become available in your area.
  • Those with additional needs or outstanding questions should call 2-1-1 and they will be directed to the appropriate resource.
Senator Darling represents portions of Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington and Waukesha Counties.