High School Volleyball Tryouts
The Cougar Volleyball coaches are looking for dedicated student-athletes who take pride in their school and are willing to make a maximum effort in both the classroom and on the volleyball court. Wearing a Cougars' uniform is a privilege, one that carries both responsibilities and rewards. If you are interested in trying out please contact Head Volleyball Coach Aimee Langlois at
for more information.
Tryouts will begin Wednesday, August 1st. Here's what you should know:
You can attend tryouts ONLY after completing all the paperwork required by Northland Christian School. On June 21, an eblast was sent out by Coach Van Hook to all high school students and parents. If you have already completed and returned the forms to Northland, thank you. If not, please click the link below, complete and return to Northland by email (email@example.com) or dropped off in building 1 or building 7. Forms are available from both offices.
Volleyball Tryout Schedule:
- Wednesday August 1st, from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
- Thursday, August 2nd from 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. with an hour lunch break.
- We will try to have teams picked by August 2nd at the end of practice.
- There will be mandatory parent meeting on Friday August 3rd at 6PM in the gym. One parent is required to attend this meeting.
- BE ON TIME, which means arrive 15-30 minutes prior. Do not schedule conflicting appointments during any part of tryouts.
What to Bring/ What to Wear
Wear comfortable clothes: t-shirt, shorts/spandex, socks, court and outdoor shoes. Do not wear spaghetti-strap tops or shirts exposing a bare midriff. Do not bring jewelry (including earrings) to the gym. Kneepads are recommended, but not required for tryouts. Please wear running shorts over your spandex when you leave the gym.
The coaching staff will be looking for coachable athletes who have a great work ethic and want to learn to be better players and teammates. Prior volleyball experience or skill helps, but is not required. Prospective student-athletes will be tested and evaluated for their overall athletic ability and level of volleyball skill. Coaches will apply the following criteria:
- Attitude: Players who are positive, competitive and eager to learn. More points will be given to those who demonstrate strong leadership skills, ability work/communicate as a team.
- Athletic Ability: Players with the ability to learn and perform complex skills. Volleyball puts a premium on explosiveness and rewards those who are unafraid to attack the ball.
- Position: Players whose skills fit a specific need for the team's overall balance.
What to Expect at Tryouts
- Expect to work hard: You will be asked to perform all physical testing and drills at full speed. You should run when shagging balls, when moving from drill to drill and when going to and from water breaks.
- Skill Introduction: Prospective student-athletes will be taught the basics of the Cougars Volleyball system, including passing, serving, attacking, setting, blocking and defense.
- Attitude Evaluation: Prospective Cougars should be willing to try hard, make mistakes, learn from those mistakes and keep trying.
As with most team sports, coaches will evaluate players for their ability and potential to fill specific positional needs (setter, outside hitter, middle blocker, opposite hitter, defensive specialist, and/or libero).
How to Impress the Coaches
- Be among the first to arrive in the gym and among the first to help set up nets and equipment.
- Be among the first to line up for drills.
- Look the coach in the eye when she speaks to you or the team.
- Be a champion ball shagger.
- Be among the first to help take down the nets and put away the equipment.
Tryouts are a difficult time. One of the toughest jobs for any coach is the final decision about which players make which team. The Cougars Volleyball coaching staff strives to make all decisions fairly, without bias, based on a numerical calculation of all evaluators throughout the sessions of tryouts.
Looking forward to a great season! Let's go COUGARS!!!