Highlights from Recent CACN Reality Tour
January, 14, 2016, Toronto:
The Canadian Anti-Counterfeiting Network (CACN)
held its CACN Reality Tour in Toronto this past Tuesday. This event marks the second segment of the Tour; the first had been held in Vancouver in
November -- and upcoming events will be held in Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax and Ottawa in the coming months.
CACN extends a
very special thanks to the Toronto Police Service for co-hosting this event. We also greatly appreciate the support of the following event sponsors: CSA Group, Motion Picture Association (MPA) and the Coalition to Advance the Protection of Sports Logos (CAPS).
Close to 60 representatives from law enforcement and industry came together to learn about a number of timely topics, including:
- the importance of partnerships -- and the Toronto Police Service's commitment to working closely with CACN and other industry partners;
- case studies demonstrating the value and importance of partnerships;
- details on Canada's Combating Counterfeit Products Act - a legislation that aims to reduce trade in counterfeit goods sold to Canadian consumers and businesses by providing new enforcement tools;
- product I.D. sessions that provided guidance on how to identify a wide range of counterfeit products;
- insight on the growing partnership between the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Canadian law enforcement and government agencies; and
- real-world case studies on the strong link between sales of counterfeit goods and organized crime and terrorist financing
Attendees also experienced hand-on training on counterfeit goods by touring a number of brand owners' exhibits, which showcased authentic vs. counterfeit goods. Exhibitors included:
Coalition to Advance the Protection of Sports Logos
IP Risk Control
Kestenberg Siegal Lipkus LLP
Motion Picture Association
Procter & Gamble
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh
CACN is hosting the next segment of its Reality Tour in Montreal and Quebec City in April. Please encourage your counterparts in those cities to attend the upcoming events. Visit www.cacn.ca for full details.
Please contact Swati Patel at email@example.com or 647-260-3090.