MARCH 30, 2020 -
Update from our PCA FL lobbyist Johnson & Blanton, LLC. regarding the press conference held by Governor DeSantis.
Highlights from Governor Ron DeSantis’ COVID-19 Press Conference on 3/30/2020
The Governor’s Press Conference that was held today was with the Mayors and local officials of Broward, Monroe, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties. It took place at the Miami-Gardens Hard Rock Stadium COVID-19 testing site at 10:00 AM.
- An announcement was made stating that Governor DeSantis’ wife, Casey DeSantis recently gave birth to their third child, a baby girl!
- The Governor will be signing two new Executive Orders:
- One codifies a common set of rules regarding the “Safer at Home” initiative for southeast Florida. The Executive Order gets all four counties to operate under the same sheet of music.
- The other Executive Order allows recently retired health care personnel, law enforcement, and first responders to return to work during this crisis. Currently, Florida law requires at least a six-month break before returning to work. This Executive Order would waive those rules.
- DeSantis claimed that 60% of coronavirus cases are in southeast Florida. He also thanked the Federal Government for all they have done to support the country and the state of Florida during this pandemic.
- DeSantis announced that TEVA Pharmaceuticals’ hydroxychloroquine treatment was officially approved by the FDA yesterday and he is distributing the drug to south Florida.
- Update on the Cepheid Labs’ 45-minute coronavirus test – DeSantis stated that he sent:
- 750 tests to Memorial Health Care
- And 500 tests to northern Florida
- Update on the Abbott Labs’ 5-15-minute rapid test for COVID-19:
- DeSantis reiterated that he is fighting for these tests to be given to Florida and is currently working on an agreement for this to happen.
- The Governor announced that the new Palm Beach County testing site will be opening tomorrow.
- He also added that the CDC officially issued a travel advisory for the NYC area, emphasizing his travel advisories which include the NY area, along with the New Orleans area. Adding that there will be roadway checkpoints on I-95 South from Georgia.
- DeSantis then stated that he is dispatching medical personnel to the Holland America cruise ship that contains patients with coronavirus-like symptoms. It is currently headed to Fort Lauderdale.
- State Hospital Space:
- At 30% for available beds
- With a projected higher amount at about 32% in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties.
- Gov. also said they have staged field hospitals in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, while currently working on identifying other available facilities with the help of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Lastly, DeSantis claimed that the Safer at Home initiative will be in place until at least the middle of May.