The Homestead Neighborhood Association will not hold a November meeting.
This special October Enews is sent to alert you to the October 22 deadline for comments regarding the Marquam Hill Zoning Proposal.
Marquam Hill Zoning Proposal
The proposed rezoning for the top of Marquam Hill continues to allow commercial parking, with a possible "fix" in a separate action by adjusting the boundaries of the Marquam Hill Plan. Meanwhile, we have learned that at least some commercial property owners are renewing their effort for further upzoning which would include developing commercial parking as a matter of right. For this reason, it is important to again submit testimony opposing commercial parking on the hill regardless of zoning changes.
Comments should be directed toward both the rezoning effort, and the proposal to fix the problem with a Marquam Hill Plan boundary change. To make it simple, you could simply express your opposition to commercial parking on Marquam Hill in both forums.
To do this, e-mail your testimony to both of the links below by October 22. Be sure to include your name and address in the testimony
In previous testimony, the Homestead Neighborhood noted that adding to commercial parking on Marquam Hill is inappropriate.
- It would be adjacent to OHSU where parking development of all types is currently restricted by the City as a partial solution to the immense commuter traffic volume problem on Marquam Hill residential streets.
- The presence of additional commercial parking would defeat the City's own traffic control measures. There is no doubt that there is a demand for commuter parking on the Hill. OHSU has a long waiting list of commuters wanting parking spaces. To their credit, OHSU and Tri-Met have implemented significant and successful public transportation initiatives. Currently, approximately 40% of OHSU employees commute using public transportation.
- Allowing additional commercial parking on Marquam Hill would be an impediment to the continued success of these initiatives.
You can read more about the map refinement and code reconciliation projects at
Two "No Ivy" Events - October 28 9am -noon
Our neighborhood has plenty of ivy, but for this special day, we are focusing on two locations.
1. Partnering with Friends of Terwilliger and the Park Bureau, we will be removing ivy between the upper and lower portion of Duniway Park. Gather at SW Terwilliger Blvd. and SW Hamilton Street and then move to the site. Folks who want to go straight to Duniway Park may do so.
2. Partnering with Friends of Marquam Nature Park and the Park Bureau, we will be removing ivy on the Sunnyside Trail. Meet at the Marquam Shelter at SW Marquam Street and Sam Jackson Road.
A celebration/thank you lunch will be held at the Marquam Shelter after the work party. Parking, thanks to OHSU, will be available in the lot across from the Shell Station at Terwilliger and Sam Jackson Road.
Please wear warm, water-proof clothing and appropriate shoes. Gloves, tools, snacks, and instructions will be provided.
Make your voice heard.........
The year ahead will be a busy one filled with discussions and important decisions that affect the Homestead area. If you want to be part of the conversation you can become a member using the membership form found on our website.