June 2019
Get your very own copy of 
this year's report on host compensation


Thank you to everyone who took part in our second annual survey of international education programs about host compensation. We had almost 50 programs participate, providing us with an excellent sample. 

The survey showed that host compensation rose a striking 13 percent over last year. Please see below for details and how to access the full report. 

As a token of appreciation for participating in the survey, we held a draw for a $25 gift card. Congratulations to Martina Brazeau of West Vancouver Schools.

Early bird pricing is available for our fall homestay conferences in Toronto, Seattle and San Diego. Register now and save! We also have Cultural Intelligence workshops this fall in Toronto, Vancouver and Halifax. Read on for more information. 

As always, please get in touch if you have any comments or questions. 
(613) 888-9560         

Save with Early Bird pricing on homestay
workshops in Toronto, Seattle and San Diego

Homestay staff are invited to join us for our professional development workshops, which are filled with informative sessions, networking opportunities and sharing of ideas. 

We have been running homestay workshops for the past four years and the feedback from participants is outstanding: 

Visit our website for more information and to register for these sessions: 

Early Bird pricing is now available so register early and save!

Build your cultural intelligence!
Workshops in Toronto, Halifax, Vancouver

Visit our website to learn more about how to improve your work
with agents, parents, students and anyone from another culture!

Average host fees grow 13 percent over last year
The dramatic increase in the number of international students coming to Canada has boosted the demand for homestay accommodations. As a result, host payments are on the rise, jumping an average of 13 percent over last year.
Canada currently has more than 500,000 international students. Of course, many post-secondary students stay in dorms or apartments - but homestay is a key component of K-12 programs, private language schools and college/university English-language institutes.
ESQ Educational Services asked homestay staff to respond to a survey about host compensation in May. More than 40 programs across Canada responded. The result: The average fee paid to hosts is currently $845 per month. In last year's survey, the average was $750. That's an increase of $95 (13 percent) in just one year.
Whistler, British Columbia, continues to be the location with the most expensive homestay program. Fees there are $1,200 per month, with the local school board planning to raise it to $1,500 due to strong demand and a limited supply of host families.
Across Canada, a monthly fee of $900 was the most common, followed closely by $800.
The survey also asked whether low host compensation made it difficult to recruit hosts. A whopping 81 percent of respondents said it does.

"If you don't compensate families enough they will say it's costing them money to host a student so not worth it," says Lois Aitken of Mountain View School Division in Manitoba. 

"However, not everyone does it for the money, but for the most part families need the money to help cover their costs."

When asked to consider the statement that "low compensation makes it hard to retain hosts," 81 percent of respondents agreed.

Commented Rosemary Mooney at Columbia College in Vancouver: "Unfortunately, a host family's loyalty lies to the amount they are being paid. I have lost many good families because our rates are too low. Vancouver is extremely expensive and hosts shop around for schools that pay the most."
Very few programs pay hosts extra for special diets. About 85 percent do not offer additional compensation for vegan, Halal or athlete diets. The remaining 15 percent provide hosts with less than $5 per day.
More than 85 percent of respondents said that they do not collect a damage deposit or charge a room cleaning fee. For those that did the amount and conditions varied widely.

You can read the entire report here. 
Career Opportunities in International Education

Need to fill a job opening with a top candidate? 
Advertise your position on IntEdCareers.ca 
Contact us for details!