November is National Family Caregivers Month so we are taking the opportunity to focus on how we can support those who assist their loved ones!
Because many caregivers are so busy caring for others, that they don't take the time to care for themselves. The caregivers need to rest, eat well and recharge so they can be at their best. Did you know that sixty percent of family caregivers also work full or part-time in addition to their caregiving duties?
Here are our tips on how you can help a family caregiver you know.
- Listen. Let a caregiver vent! Sometimes they feel like they are alone so allowing them to let off some steam really helps them de-stress.
- Help them sort documents such as advance directives. This helps the caregiver make sure the person they are caring for has their affairs in order.
- Run errands for the caregiver. Offer to do their shopping, bring dinner or mow their grass.
- Send them gift baskets with healthy food, such as fruit!
- Make sure the caregiver knows that it is okay to accept help from those who care about them.
Please see the next section to help keep up the spirits of a family caregiver!
We are happy to provide more guidance if you are or know a family caregiver. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us.
Remember that helping the caregiver also helps those they are caring for!
Alice Paxton, CEO
Paladin Life Care