Are you looking to advance your farm business all while earning money to purchase a farm asset?
Well then you should consider applying for the
Savings Incentive Program
We have started to accept applications for the 2018/19 class. Will you be one of the farmers selected?
Hurry, applications will be accepted until November 11th.
The two-year program pairs beginning and aspiring farmers with experienced farmer mentors; provides targeted learning and peer networking opportunities; offers business planning support and guidance; and gives participants the chance to save money while learning how to build a profitable farm. Successful participants receive a one-to-one match on money saved during the program, up to $2,400, for a potential total of $4,800 that may be used to help purchase a farm asset.
PFI provides an opportunity for us to engage with a robust network of peers and mentors. Through our participation with PFI programs and events we have developed important relationships that will benefit our farm business for years to come.
Peter Kerns and Natasha Hegmann, Savings Incentive Program class of 2017
Requirements: As part of the Savings Incentive Program, participants are paired with a mentor, with whom they must meet in-person at least three times in the first year.
- Open and manage a savings account with Practical Farmers' partner bank
- Meet at least one time in person with a business plan reviewer
- Create or fine-tune a business or whole-farm plan
- Attend at least four Practical Farmers events per year. PFI events include online trainings, field days, conferences, workshops and more
- Conduct online quarterly reviews with Practical Farmers staff to check on progress toward goals and program requirements
- Complete all forms and requested information on-time
Applicants must either be farming on their own now and have farmed for five or fewer years; or they must have some experience working for a farm business. This includes, but is not limited to: internships, apprenticeships, working as an hourly or salaried employee, or working on the family farm. Applicants must also be members of Practical Farmers of Iowa, and either reside or farm in Iowa. Those who are not members can join at
or by calling (515) 232-5661.
For questions about the Savings Incentive Program or application process, contact Greg Van Den Berghe at email@example.com or (515) 232-5661.