September 6, 2017



Dear Friends and Neighbors:

We are providing this initial list of disaster recovery resources for those who are in need of such services:

FEMA Assistance:
Apply for FEMA aide at  or (800) 621-3362.

Have this information ready when you apply:

            Social Security number
            Address of the damaged home or apartment
            Description of the damage
            Information about insurance coverage
            Telephone number
            Mailing address
            Bank account & routing numbers for direct deposit of funds

Commonly Asked Questions about FEMA
Q. How do I apply for FEMA disaster assistance?
A.  You can apply at, or call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362. If you have a speech disability or hearing impairment and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly. If you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.
Q. What happens after I apply for disaster assistance?
A.  FEMA will mail you a copy of your application and a copy of Help After a Disaster: Applicant's Guide to the Individuals and Households Program that will answer many of your questions.  
  • If you do not have insurance: An inspector will contact you after you apply to schedule a time to meet you at your damaged home.
  • If you have insurance: You need to file your insurance claim and provide FEMA with a decision letter (settlement or denial) from your insurance company before FEMA issues an inspection.  There is an exception for damages caused by flooding; if you have flood insurance, FEMA will issue an inspection before receiving a copy of your flood insurance decision letter to evaluate your eligibility for temporary living expenses since these are not covered by flood insurance.
  • About 10 days after the inspection FEMA will decide if you qualify for assistance. If so, FEMA will send you a check by mail (or direct deposit) with an explanation of what the money covers (i.e. rent or home repair).
  • If FEMA determines that you are ineligible for any reason, you will receive a letter and be given a chance to appeal. Appeals must be in writing and mailed within 60 days of the determination. Read the letter carefully for the reason of ineligibility before filing your appeal.
  • If you get a Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loan application in the mail, you must complete and return it to be considered for a loan or certain types of grant assistance, such as transportation, personal property, and moving and storage. 
Q. Why didn't I receive rental assistance when my home can't be lived in?
A.  If you cannot live in your home because of disaster damage and you did not receive rental assistance, please contact FEMA to check on your status.  It could be that during the inspection you indicated that you were unwilling to relocate. If so, FEMA would not move forward to issuing a rental assistance check for you to move to another location. 
Q. I received a rental assistance check, how do I find a new place to rent?
A.  The FEMA Housing Portal is intended to help individuals and families, who have been displaced by a disaster, find a place to live. The portal consolidates rental resources to help individuals and families find available rental units in their area.  This information can be accessed by visiting and searching "Housing Portal," or by calling 800-621-3362.
Q. Will my family get assistance faster if we each apply separately?
A.  No. If two members of the same household apply for the same damaged home, FEMA assistance could actually be delayed. If more than one member of a household has applied, the additional registrants should call the FEMA Helpline, 800-621-3362 to withdraw their applications. Once this occurs, the original registration for the household can be processed for assistance.
Q. If I received a settlement from my insurance but still have additional needs, what can I do?
A.  As soon as you receive an insurance settlement, you should provide a copy to FEMA and identify any unmet needs you have. Although FEMA cannot duplicate benefits that your insurance provided, FEMA may be able to assist you with lost essential items not covered by insurance and can also help you find resources through other recovery partners.
Q. Why did I get a different amount of home repair assistance than my neighbor?
A.  Each survivor's case is unique. There are several factors involved, including insurance status and the extent and type of damage found during the home inspection.
If you feel that the assistance you received does not cover your needs - for example, the funding you received for repairs are less than the estimates you've received from contractors and you have not yet met the FEMA maximum grant - you can appeal.
Q. Will FEMA provide additional rental assistance beyond the initial assistance period if I still cannot return to my home?
A.  Rental assistance can be provided for up to 18 months from the date of declaration while you are setting up your permanent housing plan. After your initial period of assistance, you will be sent a letter on how to "recertify" if you need additional rental assistance.  
Q. Could FEMA assistance affect my Social Security benefits, federal taxes, food stamp (SNAP) eligibility, or Medicaid?
A.  No. FEMA assistance does not affect benefits from other federal programs and is not considered taxable income.

Q. I've already cleaned up the damage to my home and made repairs. Is it too late to register once the work is done?
A.  No. You may be eligible for reimbursement of your cleanup and repair costs, even if repairs are complete. The important thing is to document the expenses you incur. It is a good idea to take before-and-after photos for your records.
Q. If I received disaster assistance last year, could I get it again this year?
A.  Assistance may be available if you also suffered damages from a previously federally declared disaster. 
Q. My child is a U.S. citizen, but I am not. Can I apply for FEMA disaster assistance?
A.  If anyone in an affected household is a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien (a "Green Card" holder), they are eligible to apply for FEMA disaster assistance. If a minor child is eligible by these criteria, even when other members of the family are not, the family can file an application on the child's behalf.  In this case, all identification documents have to be in the child's name and Social Security number. The copy of the child's Social Security card and birth certificate are acceptable verification. This information can be mailed to FEMA or brought to a Disaster Recovery Center.
TWIA policyholders that sustain windstorm damage can file claims by:

  • Calling TWIA's 24-hour Claims Center at 800-788-8247
  • Visiting (Click on "Get Started" to be directed to the Claims Center login webpage, and then click "New User Registration" to create your profile and password if filing online for the first time. Policyholders will need a policy number to register). 
Other Government Assistance:
Housing Assistance:
Legal Assistance:
  • Houston Volunteer Lawyersare offering free legal assistance to those affected by Harvey.
  • The State Bar of Texas Disaster Hotline: (800) 504-7030. The hotline - answered in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese - connects low-income people affected by a disaster with legal aid providers in their area who can help with such issues as replacing lost documents, answering insurance questions, helping with landlord-tenant problems, and handling consumer protection concerns such as price-gouging and contractor scams during the rebuilding process. Callers can leave a message at any time.
  • The Houston Bar Association will host a live phone bank manned by licensed Texas lawyers - Monday through Friday, September 5 to September 29, from 3:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.  Extended hours (5 pm to 9 pm) will be offered on Wednesday, September 6, and Wednesday, September 20. Simply call (713) 759-1133 during the hours of operation. The same service will be provided for Spanish-Speakers on Thursday, September 7, between the hours of 5 pm and 9 pm.
  • provides these legal advice articles for disaster recovery:
Property Assistance:
  • The National Flood Insurance Program answers questions for policyholders about the claims process at 800-621-3362
  • Search for your insurance company contact information to make property loss claims:
  • To find a towed car, click here or call 832-394-4869
  • For clean-up assistance, contact, or call 1-800-451-1954 to report your need. In unincorporated Harris County, call the Residential Debris and Damage Assessment Hotline: 713-274-3880.
Medical Assistance:
  • The Houston Medical Wellness Clinic, 5910 Fairdale Lane, is offering free clinic visitations and free medications for those impacted by Hurricane Harvey. Dr. Jennifer LaBleu will see patients with non-emergent conditions and provide medications for conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, infections, asthma and high cholesterol. When the supply of medications on hand are exhausted, prescriptions will be provided until more supplies can be delivered. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments may be made at (713) 781-1905.
  • A Disaster Distress helpline, 1-800-985-5990, is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.  It is run by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration.
Business Assistance:
  • The U.S. Small Business Administration offers low-interest, long-term disaster loans to small businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters to repair or replace uninsured/underinsured disaster damaged property. Apply here or call 1-800-659-2955.
List of local organizations providing services to residents following Hurricane Harvey who are accepting donations:

Mayor Sylvester Turner established this fund through the Greater Houston Community Foundation to provide tax-deductible flood relief donations for those affected by the historic flooding.

This local non-profit has been helping low-income Houstonians for 110 years, since its founding in 1907.

This volunteer-based network will work to meet "emergency needs such as clothing, food, and medical supplies to re-housing families and refurnishing their houses to create homes."

America's largest food bank is prepared to mobilize resources across Houston, asking for volunteers, donations, and monetary contributions. Their donation page reminds that every $1 donated provides 3 meals.

Houston PetSet is an umbrella organization that provides grants to a variety of area non-profit, including Houston Humane Society, K-9 Angels Rescue,  Barrio Dogs  and more.

Working across faith communities, IMGH resettles refugees and provides extensive Meals on Wheels services for homebound seniors and their pets. They are currently soliciting donations to help support their Meals on Wheels operation.

In a normal year, this organization helps more than 82,000 people annually of all religious backgrounds with food, shelter, and disaster relief.

As the lead agency responding to homelessness in Houston, this organization is accepting monetary donations to rehouse formerly homeless individuals.

While not Houston-based, this organization donates diapers to shelters-a resource typically not provided by disaster relief organizations. Monetary donations are accepted here, or you can purchase diapers from the Amazon wishlist that will go to their efforts.

Electrical Power: .

Center Point Energy: 713-207-2222


If this email has been forwarded to you and you are not on the District G email/newsletter list, you are invited to sign up here:

You can review our email archive here: Email Archive
Greg Travis
Houston City Council Member, District G
900 Bagby, 1st Floor
Houston, TX 77002
P.O. Box 1562
Houston, TX 77251-1562
Phone: 832-393-3007
Facebook: Like
Twitter: Follow