Be Safe After
After a hurricane, you may face flooding, downed power lines, damage from mold, and other risks to your health. Below are tips on how to recover safely from Ready, a National public service campaign designed to educate and empower the American people to prepare for, respond to and mitigate emergencies.
- Listen to authorities for information and special instructions.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if it is wet or if you are standing in water.
- Avoid wading in flood water, which can contain dangerous debris.
- Save phone calls for emergencies. Phone systems are often down or busy after a disaster. Use text messages or social media to communicate with family and friends.
- Document any property damage with photographs. Contact your insurance company for assistance.