Phase I (I-64/I-264 to Newtown Road)
- Drilled shafts, columns and cap beams Curlew to Kempsville
- Constructing retaining walls M and P at the I-64 west approach to Curlew Drive overpass near Ivor and Edison avenues; installing precast panels and backfilling (see photo above)
- Installing Densified Aggregate Piers (DAPS) and driving support piles at Exit 15A from I-264 to Newtown Road (see photo above)
- Maintaining erosion and settlement control measures
- Installing outfall for South Newtown Road retention pond across Pleasant Point Drive.
- Installing Retaining Wall Q at Exit 15A from I-264 to Newtown Road
- Setting steel girders from Kempsville Road to Newtown Road behind First Baptist Norfolk
- Drilled shafts, columns and cap beams I-64 WB Curlew Drive Approach
Phase II (I-264/Newtown Road to Witchduck Road)
- The Commonwealth Transportation Board awarded a construction contract worth $105.4 million on Dec. 6 to The Lane Construction Corp. of Cheshire, Conn.
- Construction is scheduled to begin soon after the Feb. 15 Notice to Proceed. Initial activity is likely to include work near Newtown Road Exit 15A. More scheduling information will be shared when it becomes known. Lane closures will be announced in advance.
- A project open house is being scheduled for early March near the project corridor as part of VDOT's public outreach efforts. Subscribers to these updates will be notified when the event is scheduled.