Learn about Novi school security
What Parents Need to Know 7pm, Thursday, Dec. 15 at Novi Public Library
The Novi Community School District and Novi Police Department are inviting all parents to a forum on "School Security Measures" at
7pm on Thursday, December 15, at the Novi Public Library.
This is the fourth in a series of informative programs to provide parents with relevant information about student-related issues.
Topics for this program include:
- Perspectives on enhanced school safety initiatives from police and school district safety/security experts
- Partnerships between the Novi Police and Novi Community Schools
- New building security policies & protocols
- New district physical security upgrades
- Introduction to the ALICE program & the basis for options-based responses to active threats.
Free child car seat inspections
Get your car seat checked from 9-noon on Saturday, Dec. 17 at Fire Station #4
Be certain your child is riding properly in their car seat by having it inspected or installed by a certified technician from
9-noon on Saturday, Dec. 14, at Novi Fire Station #4, 49375 Ten Mile Road.
The Novi Fire Department has four certified and licensed Child Passenger Safety Technicians on staff ready to provide the most updated information and a free check of your child seat and, if necessary, perform a complete child seat installation.
Those who want their seat installed or checked are asked to bring the vehicle's owners manual, the car seat manual, and, if possible, the child who will use the safety seat.
The technicians also will share some important information including:
- The steps of restraint as the child grows (rear- to forward-facing car seat, forward-facing harnessed seat to a booster seat and booster to an adult safety belt)
- Benefits of riding properly restrained, including all adults
- Safety in and around the vehicle (never leaving children unattended, walking around the vehicle before moving, etc.)
- State laws and best practice recommendations for occupant safety
No appointment necessary, but appointments can be made by visiting cityofnovi.org or calling 248.735.5673. The checks should only take about 25 minutes to complete.
Win a wedding at the Novi Library!
The lucky couple must submit video entry by January 24 to be eligible
Enter now for a chance to win your own storybook wedding at the Novi Public Library this summer.
One person in the couple must live in Novi, Northville, Wixom, Lyon Township, Salem-South Lyon or Walled Lake and must attend two of three Novi Library relationship programs.
Participants must submit a two-minute video showing why they should win. The final three couples will have their video featured on
for public to view and vote.
The couple must also be willing to let the public vote on every aspect of the wedding from the dress, tuxedo, rings, cake, honeymoon and most importantly the lucky couple.
A public reception will take place at Fuerst Park with a private reception to follow at the Library on
Saturday, June 24, 2017. The deadline to enter is
January 24. Online voting will take place between
February 20 and March 6.
Winter weather in the forecast
Do your part by keeping vehicles off streets, not plowing snow back into road
The snow is back and the Novi Department of Public Services Snow Team is ready for it.
Here are some tips on how you can help make this winter's operations smoother:
- If a snow emergency is declared, vehicles must be moved off streets so plow trucks can safely remove snow and ice.
- Always stay a safe distance of at least 50 feet behind DPS trucks.
- It is your responsibility to clear the sidewalk abutting your property
- When your street gets plowed, snow from the plow's blade gets deposited along the edge of the street - including at the entrance to your driveway. The City does not plow driveway approaches, but check out tip on how to avoid the "Second Shovel."
- Please report potholes to DPS and they will be filled as soon as practical
- Remove items from the public right-of-way. The City is NOT responsible for damage to items left in a street's right-of-way.
- Please make sure your kids DO NOT play on a street's snow banks and that they stay a safe distance away from plows.
If you have any questions about snow removal, please call the DPS at
Normal office hours are
For more information, visit