Thank you to the merchants who attended the late-October BSD Merchant Meeting. In case you missed it, here are some highlights from the meeting:
1. Birmingham Schools Superintendent, Mr. Mark Dziatczak - Proposed Millage
Birmingham school superintendent, Mark Dziatczak explained to merchants that today, Tuesday, Nov. 5, voters will be asked to consider a ballot proposal to restore, replace and extend the BPS Operating Millage.
The proposal will ask voters to consider restoring the state-expected, 18 mill levy on non-homestead (commercial and second residence) property for this school year, replacing the current non-homestead millage authorization to 21 mills, while allowing the District to levy no more than the 18 mills allowed by our state on non-homestead properties.
The proposal also asks residents to consider extending the homestead rate through 2028 without a tax rate increase to homeowners, eliminating the need for an Operating Millage proposal in 2021.
Here is the link that explains the proposal more in depth:
2. Upcoming Special Events
- the first annual edition of the Birmingham Magazine will be mailed during the week of November 4th. The high-quality coffee table style magazine will cover fall of 2019 through fall of 2020.
4. Maple Construction Project updates
5. Business Development
Lyft Discounts during Holidays
hose heading to Birmingham will enjoy discounted Lyft rides this holiday season! Tell your customers to leave their car at home when visiting downtown Birmingham.
- Type code BHAMDAY19 from 12:00 p.m. - 5:59 p.m. to obtain $7 off a ride to downtown Birmingham.
- Type code BHAMNIGHT19 from 6:00 p.m. - 11:59 p.m. to obtain $3 off a ride to downtown Birmingham.
*Promotion is valid November 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019 or when promotion funds are exhausted – whichever comes first. Please note an individual rider may only utilize a maximum of four rides during the designated daytime hours and two rides during the designated evening hours throughout the duration of this specific promotion.
- Backbone Creative presented "Branding Breakthrough." Your brand is so much more than just a logo or a website. It has the power to connect, convert, and delight your customers and turn them into die hard fans and followers. If you're trying to figure out why your marketing isn't leading to sales or users, it's time to take a closer look at your brand and communications strategy.
6. Valet Parking – Tiffany Gunter
From Saturday, November 30th through Tuesday, December 24th, shoppers and visitors will enjoy two hours of FREE valet parking at these locations: Hamilton near Ferndale, and South Old Woodward near Merrill. The service is offered Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m