he Illinois General Assembly will reconvene the Spring Session next week in Springfield. The abbreviated session is scheduled to take place from Wednesday, May 20 to Friday, May 22. Legislators have been holding virtual discussions over the past several weeks on a variety of topics in hopes of narrowing the list of issues that must be addressed when they return to Springfield. On the top of the list of issues for legislators is a constitutionally required budget. The Governor has asked that legislators take additional steps to assist small businesses and communities most hurt by COVID-19.
Daily COVID-19 Results
Governor JB Pritzker held his daily press conference and announced:
- There are 1,677 new cases of coronavirus in Illinois.
- There are a total of 3,792 deaths related to coronavirus in Illinois, including 192 additional deaths announced today.
- A total of 84,698 cases have been confirmed in at least 99 of the 102 counties. These numbers include many individuals who have already recovered.
- There have been 489,359 individuals tested for coronavirus in Illinois.
Press Conference Key Updates
- Today the Governor made a plea to local elected officials and business owners to adhere to the stay-at-home Executive Order. The Governor noted that communities and businesses that reopen ahead of the Governor's plan will face consequences; specifically, a business' license may not be renewed and FEMA may not cover damages caused by those ignoring the law.
Regional Metrics Updates
Governor Pritzker's Restore Illinois plan uses health metrics and data to determine 5 phases of reopening the state. The Illinois Department of Public Health began publicly updating their data so that the four regions can see where they stand with regard to moving to the next phase on May 28.
Click here to see the data in your zone