Good Afternoon,

We have decided to extend today's school closure for two weeks. We will be closed through Friday, March 27. At that time, we will assess whether reopening MCCPS is a safe decision. If you need to pick up any item that was left behind by a student, please come to the school by 1PM this afternoon. 

This morning I participated in a call with the Department of Public Health and the Commissioner of Education where more information was shared about the Coronavirus/COVID-19. In making this decision we have also researched the advice of the experts that have shared the importance of slowing the spread of the virus through social distancing. 

We do not make this decision hastily. While we do not have any confirmed cases of the Coronavirus in our community, we know that the person to person contact within our state is underway. We do need to let you know of one presumptive case of the virus. A relative of one of our students attended one of the Saturday performances of the Wizard of Oz here at the school. A few days later, this person developed a fever. The student connected to this person did not attend school following the receipt of that information. This person has since received negative tests for flu and strep and been informed by their doctor that it is a presumptive case of coronavirus. This is not a definitive case, nor is it clear that this person had the virus while in attendance at the show. This is an excellent example of why we believe that closing our school is the prudent decision. 

During the two weeks away from school, each grade level will provide students with reading lists and some suggested challenge activities to complete at home. We know that providing homework assistance may not be possible for every parent. Please support your child as much as possible and encourage them to continue to read as much as they can. This will keep them sharp for their return to school. While students will not be graded on these assignments, they are encouraged to complete the work and treat this differently than they would a school vacation week. 

We will share more information once we have more information about term two report cards, which will be delayed, as well as MCAS testing dates which may also be delayed. 

Prior to the return of students on Monday March 30, we are arranging to have the school professionally cleaned/disinfected so that everyone returns to a sterilized learning environment. 

If any parent needs to come to the school today - Friday March 13, 2020 to pick up coats or instruments that were left at the school, please be sure to do so by 1pm this afternoon or contact the school to see if anyone is here to meet you. 

Please note that our last day of school this year will be June 17, 2020 , regardless of whether we extend this closure beyond two weeks.

We will continue to update our website with information about this evolving situation.  Please check email and social media for updates throughout the next two weeks. 

Please continue to be well, and reach out with any questions.


Peter Cohen, Ed.D
Marblehead Community Charter Public School
Head of School