Dear Cushing Families,
The safety and well-being of your student is of primary importance to us. In that spirit, below please find valuable information concerning the student health insurance plan that you have purchased for your student. Please note this is not intended to be a comprehensive summary of the benefits/exclusions in the plan. Please refer to the plan summary and brochure/certificate of coverage for additional details.
As you will see, United Healthcare has taken significant action to ensure that your child is covered anywhere in the world. Testing and treatment of COVID-19 is eligible for reimbursement under the plan. Please note, United Healthcare will not issue any pro-rata credits/refunds for the student insurance policy. This is in keeping with the policy where it
states “Refunds of premiums are allowed only upon entry into the armed forces.” (Section 2: Effective and Termination Dates in the brochure).
WHERE IS MY STUDENT COVERED?
- Your student does not need to be at school to be covered - Your student’s coverage is in force and covered expenses are eligible for reimbursement anywhere in the world INCLUDING your student’s home country.
IS THE COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) COVERED?
- Treatment of the Coronavirus is eligible for reimbursement - There are no exclusions in your plan for pandemics/epidemics.
- Screening/Testing of Coronavirus is eligible for reimbursement - even in the absence of symptoms. Here is United Healthcare’s official statement: “United Healthcare has waived all member cost sharing, including copays, coinsurance and deductibles, for COVID-19 diagnostic testing provided at approved locations in accordance with CDC guidelines.” It is important that testing follows the CDC guidelines. See attachments below for additional details.
- Telemedicine/Virtual Visits - We are attaching documents published by United Healthcare Student Resources that address the Coronavirus. Please note that the sections addressing Virtual Visits and/or “HealthiestYou” Doctors are designed for students over the age of 18. However, if you or a Guardian calls on behalf of the student, that number may prove helpful. If someone does call, they should be prepared to validate their role as legal guardian.
- Your policy is a medical expense policy and does not include reimbursement for travel/lodging costs.
- Your policy does include Assistance/Evacuation Benefits. A full description is provided in the brochure. This service needs to be engaged in advance of incurring any expenses. The service is designed to assist the student if they are suffering from an illness/injury and cannot secure appropriate treatment where they are located. If you believe a situation might require this assistance, you/student can reach out to the number located on the back of the ID card. Again, this service must be engaged in advance. It does not and will not “pay claims”.
MY STUDENT IS NOT AT SCHOOL, HOW DO I MANAGE MY COVERAGE/CLAIMS SUBMISSION?
- If you have not already, please establish a My Account (United Healthcare online system). This will enable you to:
- Print, view and request an ID card
- Review claims status/EOB’s (Explanation of Benefits)
- Submit claims
- Locate a provider/pharmacy (for students still in the United States)
- Review coverage information – confirm dates of current coverage
- Review/print a copy of the plan summary
- How do I establish a My Account?
- This link https://shipsignup.com/resources/ provides a video on how to set up a My Account
- Once completed, contact our broker and they will help you complete the process
- Email: email@example.com (preferable)
- Phone number: call 1-844-232-7370 (during the hours of 7:30 a.m. EST and 4:30 p.m. EST)
- How do I submit a claim?
- Through the My Account system once your account is established.
- Other submission options are noted on the attached claim form (excerpt below):