Dear Superintendents and School Leaders,
I'm writing with an important update on COVID-19 testing for school employees.
County to Pause Two School Employee-Only Testing Sites
The County of San Diego has informed the San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) that it is pausing the school employee-only COVID-19 testing sites in central San Diego and South County.
Dec. 1 will be the last day of testing at the following sites:
- Ballard Parent Center (2375 Congress St., San Diego, CA 92110)
- South County School Personnel Testing Site (650 L St., Chula Vista, CA 91911)
SDCOE has updated our template letter on school employee testing to remove those two sites.
County representatives tell SDCOE they plan to reopen the sites once we get closer to area school districts reopening for wider in-person instruction. School personnel continue to be welcome at all other county-operated public testing sites.
Thanksgiving Day Testing Sites, Hours
The County of San Diego will have three COVID-19 testing sites open from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day:
- Former University of San Diego Electronics Recycling Center (5330 Linda Vista Road, San Diego, CA 92110)
- Cal State University San Marcos (333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos, CA 92078; use Palm Canyon Drive and Lot F to access Viasat Engineering Pavilion)
- Tubman-Chavez Community Center (415 Euclid Ave, San Diego, CA 92114)
We remain grateful for the support of the San Diego County Board of Supervisors, which has allocated CARES Act funding to support testing school employees for COVID-19. As you know, the California Department of Public Health recommends school districts and schools test all staff members over two months, where 25% of staff members are tested every two weeks, or 50% every month to rotate testing of all employees over time.
Thank you for all you are doing to reopen school campuses in a prudent way. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if I can be of assistance.
Dr. Paul Gothold
San Diego County Superintendent of Schools