The board understands our members are eager to hear what summer plans by the pool and on the tennis courts will look like and we greatly appreciate everyone's patience during these unprecedented and ever-changing times. Our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our members remains our utmost priority. The board will continue to monitor the situation and relay information to members as we receive more guidance from state public health authorities and our Swim Club Management Group (SCMG). While we do not have all of the answers for you right now, below is what we know as of today. Thank you again for your understanding as we navigate these uncharted waters. Like all of you, the board wants nothing more than to spend our summer days playing tennis and relaxing by the pool!
The board is optimistic that we will be able to open in some capacity, although not on the planned Mother's Day date. The pool has passed inspection by the Mecklenburg County Health Department, SCMG has secured summer staff, and pool maintenance will continue during this time. Everything is in place to open the pool once allowed per NC Governor's instructions.
Once the pool is allowed to open, members should be prepared to have limited access to the pool during the initial phases of opening. Access to bathrooms and other "public" items (grills, kitchen, etc.) may be limited during initial stages of opening. We have begun discussions with SCMG on what limited capacity may look like and how that will be handled for the membership. Decisions on limited capacity will be finalized and communicated to members once specific guidelines are set.
We are sad to announce that the Greater Charlotte Swim League has cancelled the 2020 swim season. We know this is very disappointing to our Gator swimmers and hope to plan a modified in-house swim team, if possible. We are excited to share that Head Coaches Michelle Parkhurst and Tara Neltner will be returning this summer, along with Assistant Head Coach Graham Cooper. Emma Modesitt and Aaron Hill are also returning this season as Assistant Coaches. Charlie Modestitt will be joining the swim team crew as Gator Bit/Developmental Coach. More information to come from the Swim Team Chairs and coaches as we learn more on the pool opening date and guidelines.
- Susan Plaza & Jackie Altmeyer, Swim Team Co-Chairs
Foxcroft East Divers!!! We are also hoping to have some sort of a modified season this summer, but are unclear exactly what that will look like at this point. Our wonderful Coach Anthony has confirmed he's ready to coach us once again, and Adam Sneden is on board to assist. We’re going to have to wait to see what restrictions we have before we can determine scheduling, and the meets and meet schedule are going to look a little different as well. Hang tight and we’ll get back with you ASAP as we determine how to safely move forward.
- Jen Plym and Angie Koehl, Dive Team Co-Chairs
Some good news to share...
Tennis courts are OPEN starting tomorrow, May 1st,
with limited capacity and proper social distancing! Please carefully read the guidelines below, which have been developed in conjunction with nearby clubs, Mecklenburg County, and USTA guidance. Safe play guidelines will also be posted on the court gates. All standard clinics, programming, and summer camps are on hold until public health guidance allows.
FXE Tennis Rules for Reopening Under COVID-19
- Limit of 4 players per court. This is a HARD MAXIMUM.
- Courts MUST be reserved on ReserveMyCourt.com. This is mandatory and members will be asked to leave if they do not reserve a court. We need to use the reservation system to support County contact tracing efforts in the event a member tests positive for COVID-19. Please be considerate of your fellow players and cancel or amend your reservation if you cannot play. We expect courts to be in high demand.
- Members must bring their own tennis balls. Use a new can of tennis balls when you can.
- Tom and Tara will offer pro-feed only lessons and instruction for up to 3 people. Lessons will use club tennis balls. Tom and Tara are ready to get back out there with everyone and shake off the rust!
- Until further notice or as allowed by public health guidelines:
- Maintain 6-feet of distance whenever possible.
- Put your gear 6 feet apart along the fences.
- Use alternating courts when demand allows.
- Scorecards will be removed.
- Do not play or enter the courts if you are sick, have a fever, or have been in contact with someone who has a fever or tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- There will be no water provided. Bring a water bottle as it will be hot soon!
- Unfortunately, no guests are allowed (unless participating in a lesson with Tom or Tara) and children must play with a parent or adult.
- Moveable on-court benches will be removed.
- The ball machine will be unavailable.
- Bathrooms will be unavailable.
- Sanitize hands before entering courts and/or use gloves to open gates. The gates will be open when Tom or Tara are on court.
- Please use common sense and cover your nose and mouth in your elbow or shoulder if you need to sneeze; don’t spit while on the courts; and try not to touch your face, nose, or eyes.
- If members are not practicing safe social distancing or doing their best to adhere to these guidelines, they may be asked to leave for the day.
- Bring your own hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes to the courts. The club will work to provide hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes when and as supply allows, but these items are limited and not regularly available.
- Use common sense when touching tennis balls. When possible, pick up tennis balls with your racquet and foot, and limit handling tennis balls to serves. Hit tennis balls to your playing partners instead of throwing them.
Also, our awesome tennis pro's, Tara and Tom, are planning a "Welcome back from stay at home" Tennis Tournament, all of which will keep us safely socially distanced, and offer lots of play over a long weekend. It will be great to get back into some competition so keep an eye out for more information! Lastly, the tennis courts have a new shed! A big thank you to Cannon Cory, the FXE Board, Tom, Tara, and the Tennis Advisory Committee for making that happen!
If you have any questions, please reach out to Tom (firstname.lastname@example.org), Tara
(email@example.com), firstname.lastname@example.org, or a TAC representative.
- Townsend Collins, Tennis Chair
Given that the current NC limits on social gatherings will continue through May, the club will not be able to hold the early summer social events on the calendar. While the Mother’s Day and Memorial Day events will unfortunately be cancelled, we plan to postpone the May Member Social to a later summer or fall date. We look forward to being able to get together with members new and old to eat, drink, and catch up (with live music!) as soon as we are able. At this time we are still planning to hold our Independence Day and Labor Day celebrations, assuming the lifting of gathering restrictions takes place by then. We will keep members updated as we know more.
- Laura Brown and Stephanie Gardner, Social Co-Chairs
Playgrounds are still closed under current NC restrictions. We will notify members once these restrictions have been lifted.