Important Health Update for Crew Events
Dear Members of the DC Run Crew Community:
Over the past months, we have been monitoring the developments of COVID-19--the novel coronavirus that first emerged in China and has been spreading throughout the world. I wish to thank all of you for being a part of our amazing community which has led to workouts that are often draw between 100-200 athletes. Since our inception, we have been able to activate over 3,000 runners in the city who all have different backgrounds, careers, and fitness levels. It is with this in mind, that we consider our next steps to protect our community.
We are guided by two fundamental commitments: (1) ensuring the health and safety of each athlete that attends our workouts and events; and (2) ensuring that each workout is a welcoming experience free of stress and worry. In recent days, with the spread of the virus in the United States, including in the District of Columbia, we have determined new actions that are necessary for meeting these commitments.
It is important to note that we are
unaware of anyone in the DC Run Crew community who has tested positive for COVID-19
and while DC has only confirmed one case with a local
Priest in Georgetown
there have been over 20 cases confirmed in the Maryland and Virginia area. Unfortunately, this number is projected to grow. Recently, the district has
declared a public health emergency of mass gatherings
, which they define as over 1,000 people. Although we sit well underneath that threshold we feel it is our duty to lead by example and ensure the safety of our runners at all costs.
- Effectively immediately, we are postponing all DC Run Crew sponsored workouts & events through March 31st. Our goal is to continue to be good community citizens and do our part in helping control the spikes in cases before it becomes a larger problem in the district.
- Our hope is to continue our amazing women’s month features as soon as we are able to get back to "business-as-usual".
- The district has announced the cancellation of the Rock N’ Roll Marathon and the Cherry Blossom Ten Miler has offered a deferral to 2021 until March 19th. The overall status of the Cherry Blossom is still in flux.
- We are encouraging everyone to visit our Instagram stories each Monday and Saturday to view the workouts for the week. Just because we aren’t meeting in person doesn’t mean we can’t all still sweat together!
Daily Preventative Measures:
- Wash hands, multiple times a day, with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. An alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be used if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when feeling sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a trash
- If you have traveled out of the country or have been in contact with anyone who has symptoms, do not attend group gatherings.
- If you attended the Christ Church Georgetown since February 24th or have been in contact with someone who has attended the church, it is recommended to self quarantine for 14 days.
You can find more info about the coronavirus on the
. Please join me in keeping our community healthy and our workouts as safe as possible. We will continue to monitor the situation and will be in constant communication with you all. We will remain fluid and will adjust accordingly as the situation develops. Your safety, at all times, is our primary concern. Through thick-and-thin, we are CREW!
1-2-1-2 -- DC RUN CREW!