Dear YMCA Members,
As the region shifts to the lessoning of mask mandates due to the high rate of vaccination levels in our areas combined with the exponential drop in transmission rates and hospitalization, the Y is pleased to be able to share the following update in masking policies at YMCA’s in Montgomery County. For your information, and as you may be aware, the number of cases reported by both members and staff using the Y has also dropped exponentially over the last 30 days with no cases reported in our Ys over the last two weeks. The Y believes this is a direct correlation with the number of members who have been vaccinated along with the safety protocols implemented at our Y’s.
Effective at midnight on Tuesday, February 22rd, members and their guests at the Y will not be required to show proof of vaccination or wear masks to enter the YMCA facilities in Montgomery County.
- The Y recommends that those who are not fully vaccinated continue to wear masks as a safety precaution for themselves and others (2-weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines; or 2-weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine.)
- For those individuals and youth under the age of 18, the Y will follow local school mandates in the jurisdictions that we serve. Currently, students are required to wear masks indoors, although we anticipate a shift by March 1st.
- For those families utilizing our child watch, we ask that at this time all children above the age of three continue to wear masks as we will continue to follow CDC and local school mandates in the jurisdictions we serve.
For your information, at this time the Y will continue to require that all staff be fully vaccinated and to wear a mask at all times when indoors. Staff will be allowed to remove their masks when outdoors, such as lifeguarding or instructing outdoor tennis, etc.. All cleaning protocols adapted for COVID and other virus prevention measures will continue such as heightened cleaning with appropriate antiviral products and UVC cleaning after hours.
Continuing to Look Forward
As we prepare for this new but familiar phase of operations, we are preparing for a healthy spring that represents more of what we have come to experience at our Ys.
The YMCA hours of operation will be extended to a 10pm close Monday to Thursday at all locations.
- Preparations are in progress for the refurbishing of our pools and outdoor environments, including pickleball, tennis walking paths and areas used for camp.
- We will begin adding more group exercise classes and other offerings that will support your fitness goals for you and your family in the new year.
- We will be reviewing swim teams gradually being reinstated and corresponding to vaccination rates and local school mandates.
As always we value your feedback, particularly regarding new programs and services you would like to see at your Y by responding to this email. Thank you for your YMCA membership.
Yours In Good Health,
YMCA of Metropolitan Washington