As a new family to OCA, we say "Welcome to the family!" or as a returning family with a new student, we say "Welcome back!" We are so excited and honored you have chosen OCA to educate your children in light of Biblical Truth during the 2020/2021 school year. We are also excited to have your family as a part of the OCA family.
Plans are underway for the fall, and OCA teachers are looking forward to returning to school to teach students in person on our campus. Our goal is to have school as normal as possible and as safe as possible. There are teams of teachers and other professionals putting those plans together, and the plans will be communicated to all OCA families. In the meantime, you have questions and we have answers.
- When will I receive information about the dress code policy and other important back-to-school information? OCA will mail a packet to each family in mid-July with information pertaining to the upcoming school year.
- How and when will I know if my request for financial aid has been approved and the amount of financial aid I will receive? As you know, our application deadline was extended to July 1st due to COVID-19. Our Financial Aid Committee will meet on Monday, July 6th to review all applications. You will receive a letter and an acceptance/declination form in the mail in the very near future. Please return the form ASAP. Thank you for your patience and understanding!
- Does OCA have a back-to-school event planned? Yes, OCA's Back to School Bash will be held at Lake Flanagan (168th and Fort) on Friday, August 14th, 2020 from 5 PM to 8 PM! This will be a great opportunity to gather with the entire OCA family, meet faculty and staff, enjoy a cookout, watch the junior cheerleaders perform, and participate in other fun family activities. When you arrive at the bash, please check in at the NEW FAMILY TENT! We will send you an email reminder closer to the date of this event.
- What school supplies will my student need and when can my student bring those supplies to school? Within the next few weeks, we will provide a web link via News and Notes and SycEd to our school supply lists. Students will bring school supplies on their first day of school.
- What is the best way to stay up-to-date on OCA news, events, volunteer opportunities, announcements and more? OCA uses two primary communication resources...a weekly email newsletter called News & Notes and a parent portal called Sycamore Education (SycEd).
- What do I need to know about News & Notes? News and Notes is sent via email every Friday during the school year and every other Friday during the summer. You should have received the first News & Notes of the 2020/2021 school year today. If your student, spouse or grandparents would like to receive this newsletter, please have them subscribe. Past issues of News & Notes are posted on SycEd...under Docs, all Docs, 19-20 News&Notes. You can also opt in to Text Messaging.
- What do I need to know about SycEd? When you registered your students at OCA, you created a SycEd account. Please keep your login information handy as you will need it each time you login to SycEd. We recommend bookmarking this page: https://app.sycamoreschool.com/index.php?schoolid=1109. We also recommend downloading the SycEd application from the App Store on your smartphone. Our school ID is 1109.
- Who should I contact if my Middle School or High School student wants to play fall sports?
- Girl's Volleyball (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Boy's Football (email@example.com)
- Cross Country (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- How do I know if my students have been officially accepted to OCA? Once your registration paperwork is complete, your registration fee has been paid ($300 per K-12 student and $100 per Preschool/PreK student) and we have received and reviewed transcripts for 1st-12th grade students, your student is officially accepted to the academy UNLESS you are notified otherwise.
- When does school start in the fall? Our start dates are published on our school calendar. You can access a more detailed calendar with sports practice times, summer sport camps, events, and all other school activities on SycEd.
- What precautions will OCA take to safeguard my student from COVID-19? Please read our COVID-19 Statement.
- Does OCA have all of the paperwork they need from me? Please check SycEd or call the school office at 402-399-9565 to inquire if any of your necessary paperwork or records are outstanding. If you have registered, but have not paid your registration fee, please mail a check to OCA, 10244 Wiesman Drive, Omaha, NE 68007 as soon as possible. Your registration is not complete until you have done so.
- How do I register my Middle School student for classes? This is very simple. Students will all have the same five core classes and three specials.
- For the first special, PE will alternate with Keyboarding during 1st Semester and PE will alternate with Spanish during 2nd Semester.
- The second special will be divided into one quarter of each of the following courses: Computer Applications, Drawing and Painting, Family & Consumer Science and Speech.
- The third special, is dedicated to music, which will alternate between choir and band. The student may opt out of band or choir, but not both. Please complete this form to indicate which music segment(s) your student will take.
- How do I register my High School student for classes? High School students will register for classes on SycEd, but only after they have met with Mrs. Young, OCA's Guidance Counselor. Mrs. Young is in the process of reviewing student transcripts. She will reach out to each new High School family individually in the next few weeks to schedule a meeting time. You will be notified next week if we are missing your student's transcripts. The course registration guide will be available for you to review on SycEd on July 6th.
- Is OCA offering any new classes this school year? Yes, new High School courses include:
- New Bible Courses:
- Bible Foundations (all new students will take this class for a full year)
- Comparative Views
- Men's Discipleship
- Women's Discipleship
- Worship and the Arts Through the Gospels and Psalms
- Sharing Your Faith
- The Book of Romans
- Personal Finance
- Business Finance
- AP Calculus
- Automotive 101
- Spanish 3 and 4
- Art and Media Design
- Photography and Media Design
- Hero and Monster Literature
- Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to call me at 402-399-9565. I look forward to seeing you at the Back to School Bash on August 14th!
Have a blessed 4th of July and enjoy the rest of your summer!