We are excited to host our student-athletes on campus beginning Tuesday for athletic conditioning. We have worked hard to create plans that keep our student-athletes and coaches safe and have detailed all procedures in this letter.
Serra High School believes that returning to athletic activities, as permitted by the California Department of Public Health, San Mateo County guidelines, and the Archdiocese of San Francisco, provides an opportunity for healthy activity and socialization for our student-athletes. The primary focus for the 2020 conditioning program is not only to prepare for the upcoming season, but more importantly, to reconnect with teammates and coaches.
We recognize that individuals and families have different comfort levels as it relates to COVID-19. Participation in these workouts is completely voluntary; there will be no consequences of any kind to student-athletes who decide not to participate. Our number one priority is the safety, health, and well-being of our student-athletes.
All participants in this conditioning program must be cleared and have a current physical on file in order to participate. Student-athletes that would like to participate must commit to attending school when the hybrid schedule begins. Go to Online Athletic Clearance to create an account and complete the process. Please upload your signed physical form to your account or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following protocols will be implemented in accordance with CDPH and county guidelines and have been reviewed with our coaching staff:
- A Serra athletic trainer and/or school administrator will be on-campus for all athletic sessions.
- All student-athletes and coaches must arrive and depart wearing a mask. However, student-athletes will not be required to wear masks during training sessions unless they choose to do so.
- All student-athletes will be required to complete the pre-screen process using our mobile application every day prior to arrival. Click here for instructions on how to download and use the app. No exceptions. If a student-athlete answers yes to any of the questions, that student-athlete is not allowed to attend training that day and must communicate with his coach immediately. The temperature of each student-athlete will be taken and recorded once he arrives on campus.
Temperatures: If a temperature of 100.4 or higher is determined, the individual will be administered a second temperature scan after five minutes. If the temperature is still over 100.4, a third temperature scan will be administered after another five-minute break. On a third consecutive temperature reading of 100.4 or higher, the student-athlete is sent home and the parents are contacted by the athletic trainer.
Groups must maintain appropriate physical distancing at all times and are limited to 20 student-athletes. Training sessions will consist of conditioning and player development. Drills that involve physical contact or the use of equipment will not be conducted. Coaches will determine, announce workout times, and workout groups. In addition, please review the one-page fact sheet regarding the mobile application that we will be using to check-in athletes and how to use it.
Since we must limit the number of people in designated areas on campus as well as conduct a health screening to all participants, only students and coaches will be allowed in these areas. All parents/drivers must only drop off and pick-up their athletes, they may not remain on campus to watch the training sessions. We ask that you pick up your son promptly at the announced end time of their training session.
Cleaning procedures have been implemented and will be reviewed with our student-athletes on the first day:
Coaches will send out specific times and training locations to those who expressed interest in participating. Season One sports, including football, cross country and volleyball, will train after school on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Season Two sports, including baseball, basketball, lacrosse, wrestling and soccer will train after school on Wednesdays.
- Student-athletes and coaches should avoid touching their faces.
- Everyone must bring their own water bottles.
- No physical contact of any kind.
- There will be designated bathrooms for use in an emergency.
- There will be no locker room access.
- Student-athletes are encouraged to shower and wash their clothes immediately upon returning home.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me or your coach if you have questions.