Oleander, a popular landscaping plant throughout the Scottsdale area, is severely toxic to dogs, cats, horses and even humans.
All parts of the plant, including leaves, flowers, stems and roots are poisonous if ingested.
Ingesting one leaf can kill a human up to 150 pounds.
Many animal rescue groups refuse to adopt dogs out to homes with Oleander on the property.
Most common cases of Oleander poisoning occur when a dog eats a leaf or flower straight from the plant, or when a dog ingests freshly trimmed leaves blown into the dog's yard.
The best ways to prevent Oleander poisoning is to keep the plants out of your yard, and to keep dogs on a short leash while out on walks.