Why Does Giving to HC DrugFree Matter?
We in Howard County are fortunate to have numerous organizations that help to improve the quality of life in our community. HC DrugFree works hard to be a part of this effort, in partnership with the Howard County Police Department, the Howard County Public School System, the PTA Council of Howard County, the Howard County Health Department, the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services, the Howard County Library System and many others.
Some of HC DrugFree's recent accomplishments and ongoing work include:
- Partnering with the Police to collect unwanted prescription and over the counter medication on national Drug Take Back Days and throughout the year, and serving as the only location in the County to collect needles, syringes and EpiPens for proper disposal
- Holding monthly Teen Advisory Council meetings with approximately 40 high school teens from across the County
- Providing educational programs in partnership with the schools, PTSAs/PTAs and other organizations
- Educating and assisting the Howard County community to develop the knowledge and skills to understand and address behavioral health disorders
Our Executive Director serves as:
- Howard County's Substance Abuse Prevention Coordinator on behalf of the Health Department
- Chair of the County's Alcohol and Drug Abuse Advisory Board
- Vice Chair of the Howard County Public School System's School Health Council
- Co-coordinator of the County's Overdose Fatality Review Team to examine overdose deaths in the County
On behalf of the County grants we manage and coalitions we coordinate:
- Purchased one permanent medication collection box and pay for the ongoing disposal of the collected medications
- Funded police overtime to staff the 10 collection sites on Take Back Day in April 2015
- Funded select police alcohol patrols at Merriweather Post Pavilion, purchased equipment used by the patrols, and fund the ongoing service plans for the equipment
- Launched a new "In the KNOW" educational campaign to raise awareness about prescription pain medicine misuse, including ads in local media
- Created "In the KNOW" tabletop educational posters for pharmacies throughout the County and more than 2,000 medical offices' waiting rooms
HC DrugFree is a nonprofit organization and is able to do all of these things because of your financial support.
Giving Tuesday, a global day to celebrate generosity and to give, is on December 1, 2015. Can HC DrugFree count on your generosity?