Dear CedarS Families,
We are excited to announce our first-ever online program: “Take CedarS Home!”
This will be a one-week, fully-online camp experience that aims to fulfill CedarS mission: “
To give each camper an appreciation of spiritual sense and an abundance of wholesome, joyous activity
While we are all seemingly separated, this program will give campers an opportunity to unite with a community of spiritually-minded friends. They’ll participate in traditional and adapted camp activities including Bible Lesson study, camp songs, crafts, nature activities, live-stream tours from camp, friendship-building games, and growth-minded discussions.
WHEN: June 14-19, 2020
- All Campers June 14th, 6:30-7:45pm CST, Zoom Welcome Meeting, followed by Hymn Sing
- 2nd-6th graders: June 15-19, 10:00am - 12:00pm CST
- 7th-12th graders: June 15-19, 1:00pm - 2:30pm CST
WHO: Rising 2nd-12th graders
- Elementary school campers will be grouped by age and gender. (120 minutes)
- Middle school campers will have a combination of single gender and co-ed activities. (90 minutes)
- High Schoolers will have a combination of single gender and co-ed activities. (90 minutes)
Eligibility includes youth...
- enrolled in a Christian Science Sunday School; or
- with some Christian Science background and a supportive CS family member; or
- new to Christian Science with a sincere desire to explore CS in a fun, interactive way through this online experience.
COST: $100 per camper
- Includes a CedarS care package with a camp logo flashlight and/or sunglasses, theme sticker, “Treasures of Truth” notecard kit, and crafts/activities kit.
- USA and Canada: Apply to The Campership Fund
- International and those New to Christian Science: Apply to CedarS Camperships
- Additional support: If you need additional support beyond what is granted by The Campership Fund, please be in touch with CedarS.
During Zoom sessions, campers will enjoy some of these opportunities…
- Focus on a new “Treasure of Truth” or “pearl” from CedarS metaphysical theme (S&H 265)
- Participate in friendship-building activities
- Engage in Bible Lesson Study or Bible story re-enactments
- Sing camp songs
- Energize during a physical activity (dance, sports drill, exercises)
- Participate in hands-on camp activity (crafts, science, nature)
- Visit CedarS virtually via a live visit to various special spots on camp property (corral, lakefront, cabins, etc.)
- Engage in age-appropriate discussions and explore metaphysical ideas (middle and high schoolers)
Outside of Zoom sessions, campers will…
- Be encouraged to do other camp-related activities such as making their beds, doing "cabin chores," putting the summer theme into practice, having a rest hour, saying grace at meals, giving gratitude, finding a quote they like from the Bible Lesson, etc.
- Older campers may be asked to continue to think about an idea from their session and to come back the next day with new or expanded thoughts on the subject or to be prepared to report back on their efforts to put a leadership concept into practice.
The program will be held on Zoom, an online video conferencing platform. Participants will be emailed a secure link and password. Each “cabin” or group will have two trained CedarS staff members who will facilitate the activities and monitor the session, allowing campers to have safe and productive screen time.
STAFF QUALIFICATIONS & PREPARATION
: Staff have been hand-picked based on their demonstration of the qualities needed to engage your campers in a CedarS-themed, fun-filled, energetic, and wholesome experience. Staff will participate in a formal training with Dr. Lauren Stewart, professor of Experiential Education, as well as ongoing reflection.
Sign up by clicking
. Select "Summer Youth Camp" and then "Take CedarS Home Online Program."
Looking forward to sharing new camp adventures with you!
Holly, Lauren, Madi, and the CedarS Team
Holly Bruland, Ph.D, Director of Operations
Lauren Stewart, Ed.D, Staff Development Director
Madi Arens, Program Director