View as Webpage
MIPL banner

Morality, Politics and the Climate Crisis

MA Interfaith Power & Light's 2019 Annual Conference
Thursday, October 17, 2019, 7–9pm
Temple Shalom
175 Temple St.
West Newton, MA 02465

We are privileged to be joined by two thought leaders and dynamic speakers, MA Rep. Jennifer Benson and Roger Gottlieb of Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Benson State Representative Jennifer Benson is passionate about environmental issues. Serving the 37th Middlesex District since first elected in 2008, she has filed legislation every session to protect the environment and support renewable energy. This session, she has filed a bill to put a price on carbon, which has been co-sponsored by more than 100 of her colleagues in the State House and been endorsed by more than 290 faith leaders and dozens of environmental and energy groups, as well as businesses and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU).

H.2810 would require corporate polluters to pay $20 per ton of carbon dioxide emitted in the first year, increasing by $5 per year until Massachusetts reaches its emission reductions mandates. H.2810 is also a model for socially just carbon pricing, because it rebates 70% of the funds raised directly to families, thereby protecting low- and moderate-income families from increases in fuel costs. The remaining 30% of funds raised will be used to support the construction of green infrastructure, making it easier for everyone to make better environmental choices.

Gottlieb Roger S. Gottlieb is the author or editor of twenty books and more than 150 articles on religious environmentalism. In his new book Morality and the Environmental Crisis, he combines compassion for the difficulties of contemporary moral life with an unflinching ethical commitment to awareness and action. He is a member of Temple Israel in Boston.

Register today at:
Light refreshments served.
Recommended donation $15 — more if you can, less if you can't.
Book signing with Roger Gottlieb following the event.


For more information contact Mary Anne Schoonover at or 617-244-0755.

Co-Sponsored by: Cooperative Metropolitan Ministries, MA Interfaith Power & Light, Temple Shalom and the Jewish Climate Action Network (JCAN)