The 2019 HCC Business Plan Competition is for
Mix & Mingle Reception - For those interested in Applying for the 2019 HCC Business Plan Competition
January 10, 5:00pm - 6:30pm
HCC Alief Hayes, Center for Entrepreneurship
Main Building Reception Area A319
Meet Competition Sponsors, Advisors, Trainers, Application Reviewers, Competition Organizers & Judges
The BPC Reception is not required. It's optional but awesome! You can apply for the BPC before the reception or come learn more and apply shortly after it.
Proposed and Startup Entrepreneurs Should Prepare Now to Apply in January
$30,000 in Seed Money and In-Kind Prizes -Free Advising & Training & Chance to Win Prize Money
The annual HCC BPC is an opportunity for proposed, startup and existing entrepreneurs to develop focused plans to start or grow their businesses through free advising and training in the competition.
Proposed & Startup Entrepreneurs*
* You are considered a Startup if you have not yet achieved 6 continuous months of net profit.
10,000 Small Businesses Alumni
1 Step - No Prerequisites! Just
EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE: Proposed & Startup Applicants who have previously completed one of the following, are NOT required to take the quick online class (CASBP) mentioned below: 1) BUSG 2309 Small Business Management; 2)BUSG 1373/1073/1307 Entrepreneurship & Economic Development; 3) University of Houston SURE program; 4) Houston Area Urban League Small Business University; or 5) Liftoff Houston Competition (completed all Liftoff training sessions and submitted a business plan).
- Apply - January 1-January 30
- Accepted Contestants Notified-February 15
- One-on-One Mentoring & Group Training - Five Free 2-hour Tuesday Evening Training Sessions: 2/26, 3/5, 3/19, 4/2 & 4/16
- Plans Due - May 8
- Finalists Present to Judges - May 23
- Prize Money Awarded and All Teams Celebrated - May 29
he greatest prize is the competition mentoring and training that empowers all contestants to develop a strong plan! A bonus - all contestants receive in-kind prizes!
- Sign up for the class if you need to take it.
- Sign up for 1-day Financial Workshop in January
- Submit Competition Application in January
- Contestants Chosen for Competition are Announced February 16
- Free Competition Training and Mentoring Begins February 26.
Financing Workshop for Small Business Launch and Growth
For proposed, startup and existing business owners!
An all-day workshop that sets you up for success. Know your numbers and plan right for 2019!
Thinking of applying for the 2019 HCC Business Plan Competition? This workshop prepares you to go for it!
- Understanding Cash Needs: Understanding how much money you need; Negotiating to save money - a framework; Collecting money and making a profit; and Forecasting for success.
- Loans: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Understand how much you should borrow; What loan type is best for you; Loan sharks: How to avoid predatory lenders.
- Are You Doing a Good Job?: The basics for measuring your hard work; Importance of understanding your financials; Building a real asset; Connections.
Financing Panel -
Relationships for success. Representatives from Houston's financial entrepreneurial eco-system, including the SBA, LiftFund, Amegy Bank, Wallis Bank & more.
For those of you applying for the HCC Business Plan Competition during the application period January 1-30, you must sign up for the workshop prior to submitting your application. Complete the workshop before chosen contestant teams are announced on February 15.
Become a Sponsor - HCC Business Plan Competition
Join us in empowering entrepreneurs to launch and grow businesses, create jobs and positively impact our economy and our lives. Let's make a difference together!
Entrepreneur Success Videos
Business Plan Competition Alumni
Twice Media Productions
How to Apply-2019 HCC BPC
- Entrepreneur Successes:
- Deidre Mathis, Wanderstay
- Megan Eddings, Accel Lifestyle
- 4 Minute Video
"I grew my revenues by $50,000 in the summer following the BPC thanks to the advising, training and plan I brought out of the competition!"
BPC Alumni Survey Results
On a scale of 0-10, with 10 being the most favorable, BPC Alumni rated the competition 9.15 in effectiveness in improving their business skills and 9.5 in recommending the competition to a friend or colleague!
"I continue to be thankful for the knowledge gained and the relationships formed! Part of being successful is to learn from situations that don't go as planned. I found this program to be incredibly relevant, informative, and effective! Thank you for this opportunity!"
BPC Alumni Survey Comment
Become an Advisor - HCC Business Plan Competition
Business advisors play a key role in this working competition through one-on-one advising with a contestant team to vet business assumptions as they move through the competition's group training while developing and refining their plans.
Your feedback can guide the entrepreneur to avoid the pitfalls and unproductive tangents and create a focused plan that leads to launch of their plan, funding and growth.
About the Center for Entrepreneurship
The mission of Houston Community College's Center for Entrepreneurship is to provide education and training for entrepreneurs and small business owners. Our mission fosters economic growth through business and community development.
Another Outstanding Program at HCC
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses
Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses is a program for small businesses that links learning to action. Receive the tools and professional support to develop a strategic and customized growth plan that will take your business to the next level.
Pre-Qualify to Apply
- Are you the owner or co-owner of your business?
- Has your business been in operation for at least two years?
- Has your business done a minimum of $150,000 (or more) in revenue in the most recent fiscal year?
- Do you have at least four (4) employees?
- Does your business have strong growth opportunities?
SUMMER - COHORT 25
Alief Hayes Campus
Feb. 7, 2019
Class Start Date: May 15, 2019 Class Graduation: Aug. 8, 2019