A 52-year-old man with an 8-day history
- Nasal obstruction
- Frontal headache
- Productive cough with green phlegm each morning
Patient does not appear very sick but is clearly bothered by his symptoms.
Does he need antibiotics?
Most cases are viral. You should consider antibiotics
in the following:
- Symptoms have been present for at least 7 days AND
- There are at least 2 of the PODS symptoms AND
- One of the symptoms is O or D AND
- The symptoms are severe OR they are still present after a 3 day trial of nasal corticosteroids.
P - facial
ain, pressure or fullness
O - Nasal
D - Nasal purulence or discoloured postnasal
S - Hyposmia or anosmia (