Staying up to date with JPII
It is Great to be Back!
Message from Mary Adams, JPII Principal

I am so excited to be starting off the school year in-person! It is so wonderful to see those bright eyes and hear all the laughter again. Everyone has grown at least two feet since March when we last saw everyone. We gave families the option of in-person or virtual: 73% of our families chose in-person and the other 27% chose virtual. For students connecting virtually, they will be zooming with their classmates for lessons scheduled throughout the day.

We welcome our new students, Rohan, Faith, Gerald, Nathan, and Lucas. Welcome to our school family! We are so glad you are joining us.

JPII teachers and staff have done a awesome job of getting their classrooms and the school prepped for opening. They all pitched in to make it safe and ready for learning. It’s all for the kids! Thank you JPII staff. You are the best!!

The Adult Program has been open for a few weeks with a modified schedule and a limited number of participants attending. Everything is going well and we hope to expand on services and increase attendance as things improve. The adult staff has been doing a wonderful job providing for adult participants in a variety of options from in-home services, virtual and in-house programming. They are all working together to provide quality programming.  
2020 Graduation
We were finally able to hold a private graduation ceremony on Thursday, August 27 for four students.  Originally scheduled to be held in June, the ceremony had been postponed due to the COVID pandemic.

The members of the JPII class of 2020 include:
  • Cruz I. Altamirano, son of Cruz and Tiffany Altamirano of Leesport
  • Charity M. Oswalt, granddaughter of Russell and Pam Oswalt of Leesport
  • Yanessa M. Rivera, daughter of Kristine Heffner of Reading
  • Jennifer Valdez-Urbina, daughter of Heidy Urbina of Reading.

The ceremony included Mass celebrated by Msgr. Grabish from St. Joseph Parish in Reading and presentation of diplomas to the graduates.
“Although graduation was held later this year, it was important for us to be able to gather family members and staff to celebrate the accomplishments of our four graduates as they begin the next chapter of their lives. They have each worked very hard to achieve this milestone, and we wish them many blessings as they continue on their journey in life,” says Mary Adams, Principal.
Welcome, Emily!
Emily is our new Speech Therapist here at JPII! She’s ready for the school year to get started! Here are three fun facts about her:
  • She played 4 years of college lacrosse and won two national championships
  • She just moved from Long Island, NY
  • She loves Berenedoodles (a cross between a Bernese mountain dog and a poodle) and is planning on adopting one soon

“I am excited to be a part of the team here at JPII. I developed a passion for this population and love to help bring out the best in my students. The amenities are exceptional here and the staff has been so welcoming. I can’t wait to meet everyone,” says Emily.
Employment Opportunities
Now is the time to join our JPII team as we are currently in search of caring individuals to fill various positions. For more information, click here. If you know someone who would be a good fit, feel free to forward this email.

Open positions include:
School Nurse
School Supply Box Donations!
Thank you to our generous donors who supplied more than enough School Supply Boxes for our students! Even a small gift makes a big impact!

Thank you for helping us provide the tools for our students to express their creativity!
2020 Guts & Glory
*Virtual* Digestive & Wellness Week

September 21 – 26

Shopping on Amazon? Please consider adding in an item from our wish list and shop through our Amazon Smile link. (see below)
Book Orders

Place your fall book orders today! Mrs. Berkhammer will be notified and can arrange for a pickup. If you have questions, please contact her here.

  1. First Time Ordering Online? Go to the Scholastic website.
  2. Click on Connect to your Teacher
  3. Enter our one-time Class Activation Code (HG6HC).
  4. Shop and submit your child's book order.
  5. Your books will be delivered directly to the classroom.  

Orders are due by September 21!
John Paul II Center for Special Learning | 1092 Welsh Road, Shillington, PA 19607
johnpauliicenter.org | 610-777-0605