It's Moving Season! Check out our 20 Pro Packing Tips
Moving season is in full swing! If you or someone you know is moving in the near future, these tips are guaranteed to help.
Declutter BEFORE your Move
- Moving is a great time to declutter (and avoid unpacking items that were packed in a hurry, saying "why the heck did we keep this??") Begin decluttering as soon as you are looking for a new home or thinking about a move - we promise you won't regret it.
- Take a picture of large memorabilia like kids artwork or large stuffed animals before letting them go.
- Veterans of America will come to your home and pick up items for free. You don't even need to be home! You can schedule a truck pickup online.
- If you aren't sure if you're ready to part with something, place it in a "maybe" area. Come back to it later, once you have begun packing in earnest. The act of touching everything in the home makes people realize how much they own; you might feel more ready to let go at that point.
Pack Like an Organizer
- As you pack, focus on one area at a time. Start with areas that you use less: guest room, storage areas, the garage. Pack the kitchen last.
- Rather than packing based on your current rooms, place like with like. For example, when packing cleaning products, put them all together in one box, rather than separating them by "kitchen" or "laundry room". It will be easier to make decisions in your new home if all like items are placed together.
- Use colored paper or tape to label your boxes, directing where they should go. It could be by room or by floor. This gives an easy visual to whomever is putting things away in the new home.
- Clear plastic storage bins are great for packing and moving garage items, and then you can keep them stored in the garage in your new place.
- When packing hanging clothing, place a large black garbage bag around 10 or so garments, securely tie it at the top (near the hanger) with the drawstring of the bag.
- Make sure to create a separate place for important documents like passports, certificates, etc instead of packing them - just in case you need to get your hands on one quickly.
- Don't forget to label the coffeemaker! It's the first thing you'll want.
Moving Products we Love
- Clear packing wrap to keep organized items inside their containers
- Paper tape is a GREAT product - it doesn't require an annoying dispenser as you can tear it with your hands, and works even better.
- Books are heavy, so be sure to pack them in small boxes, and never large plastic tubs. You can purchase book boxes wherever you get your packing supplies, and any liquor store always has them to give away.
- Thick Sharpies are great for labeling boxes!
- Once you move, break down boxes and put them up for free on Craig's list, the Facebook marketplace or the Buy Nothing Project. The planet, and the next person to use them, will thank you.
Avoid Overwhelm with these Tips
- Start early. Make a game plan and timeline that you can stick to.
- Print a blank calendar page online so that you can write directly on it and keep in in the front of your binder as a reference. Start a folder for receipts, estimates, etc. Keep all of this together in a handy moving binder or envelope.
- Pack a weekend bag with all you'll need for the next few days. Toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning wipes, garbage bags, toiletries.
- Drink lots of water and wear good shoes on the day of your move
If you get stuck,
give us a call
! Organizers Northwest provides pre-packing, packing and unpacking services.
Spring Garage Cleanout Package
Is your garage cluttered and chaotic after a long winter? For many people, the garage operates as a temporary holding area for postponed decisions. The problem is - if you wait too long to make them, your garage will easily just become a dumping ground for anything and everything.
But there is hope! Spring is an excellent time of year to get it organized.
Have Organizers Northwest come to your home for an entire day and get it done. This package includes 2 organizers + the removal of 2 full carloads of donations or recycling for a flat rate of $1,490.00.
Call 503-245-3564 to learn more!
Local Spotlight: 11:11 Supply
11:11 was founded by Paloma Medina, a performance coach and trainer specializing in
brain-friendly methods to reach goals and aspirations. With the commendable goal of making everyone feel "capable and empowered to create better days and better lives for themselves" we are completely on board with her message. With the right tools, habits and mindset, it IS possible to get organized.
The store offers both products and workshops designed to help you craft a more productive yet beautiful life: calendars that motivate, notebooks that keep you focused, and community workshops. These focus on science-based strategies and behavioral tools you can implement into your life right away.
33 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR
Hours: Open daily 10 - 6
In-store workshops are held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 5:30pm to 7pm.
Free Shred Event
Saturday, April 27th, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Don't feel like shredding your paper page-by-page, old school style? The Beaverton police department will be hosting another free shred event next month, on April 27th. Bring up to three full banker boxes per vehicle.
The police department will have two commercial-sized shred trucks available on a first come, first served basis. Once they reach capacity, the event will end.
Date: Saturday, April 27th, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
14986 Northwest Cornell Road
FREE. Participants are encouraged to bring canned food to donate to the Oregon Food Bank. What a great opportunity to clean out your pantry as well as your old tax documents!
Repair PDX's Repair Cafe
Saturday, April 24th, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
As organizers, a big clutter-causing issue we see in our client's homes items that need to be repaired, but the owner just isn't sure how to do it.
comes in! These lovely folks partner with the
to host "Repair Cafes". Volunteers are on hand to fix small appliances, mend garments, do minor bike repair and even knife sharpening! This month, they will be hosting this event on April 24th, from 6-8 pm. So gather up those items collecting dust and get them fixed up and enjoy them again!
Saturday, April 24th, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
3625 N Mississippi Ave, Portland, OR 97227
Please spread the love and SHARE on social media!