A flurry of recent changes to state employment laws, some in effect and some going into effect in the coming months, means it is time to update your policies and handbooks. In addition to the
Massachusetts Pregnant Workers Fairness Act and the
Massachusetts Pay Equity Law, both of which will need policy updates, your handbook may also be affected by the following:
- The MA Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) regulations were amended in 2017, adding numerous regulations and updating definitions. It is recommended employers who conduct CORI checks review and update policies.
- The federal Whistleblower Protection Act was amended in 2017 to give further protections to employees against retaliation. It is recommended employers have a policy specifically prohibiting retaliation.
- The MA Supreme Judicial Court ruled in 2017 that employers must consider whether a reasonable accommodation can be granted to employees who use medical marijuana. It is recommended that employers have a written policy detailing processes for requesting accommodation and detailing how those requests will be evaluated.
- A growing number of cities and states are enacting paid leave legislation. Employers need to ensure their policies comply with paid leave laws in the states in which they operate.
- Employers should review their Anti-harassment policies to ensure the policies are both detailed in their prohibition of harassment, and that they advise employees on what to do if they experience or witness harassment. This includes not only sexual harassment, but all forms based on a protected characteristic (for instance in MA this includes gender identity discrimination).
HR Knowledge can update or create your company handbook with an efficient and effective process.
- Complete review process: We begin our process with a comprehensive review of your current handbook to guarantee compliance with federal and state regulations. Don't have a handbook? We will create one for you.
- Protect your business: Your employee handbook can help prevent liability by being comprehensive and reflective of actual practices. We can help you properly write your handbook so it is easily understood by both your management and your staff.
- Collaborative Process: Your feedback is an indispensable part of creating an employee handbook that is tailored to your organization's specific needs.
- Multi-state Capability: If your organization operates in multiple states, we can customize your handbook to reflect each state's regulations, ensuring you're in compliance no matter where you conduct business.
- Employer Branding: We'll help you brand your employee handbook to reflect your organization's brand and culture by incorporating your company's mission, goals, and values along with your branding standards.
- Concierge-level service: Enjoy our unparalleled "concierge-level" client service, which helps make HR Knowledge a leader in our industry.
Let us ensure that your company's employee handbook is comprehensive, known, and respected.
for more information.