Shortly after Mtr Anne’s retirement, Christ Church began a discernment process not only for a new rector but also for a defined direction forward. Through listening sessions and surveys, the parish discerned a set of priorities, which were the basis for the rector position description that Christ Church posted nationally.
The goal of this discernment process is for churches to hire a new rector whose skillset, experience, and interest align with the direction God and the congregation would like to see the church grow. The professional facilitators hired for this work captured five distinct priorities:
· Support Christ Church Day School and develop a stronger relationship
· Attract families with children and youth to Christ Church
· Reach new people and incorporate them into the life of the church
· Create more opportunities to form meaningful relationships at church
· Engage in ministries that heal those broken by life’s circumstances
With these first big moves in place and a defined direction forward, it is now time to begin another round of discernment and action as we together move Christ Church into its next season of ministry. Last year’s Vestry began this work by standing up a small committee of three: Pat Escher, Connie Lawthers, and myself. Our charge was to determine how best to implement the parish’s stated priorities and to continue to ask God what Christ Church is called to do, now and in the future.