This month I interviewed another one of my clients, Linda, who has benefited from Myofascial Release (MFR).
- What was the original problem that brought you to WT? What was your diagnosis? There was no single issue, but a set of chronic and evolving problems with my back, knees and my overall mobility. I had issues with arthritic knees, rotated hips and new problems with my back. Although pain was a problem, more importantly, my mobility was declining and limiting what I could do.
- How much pain did you have before coming to WT? How much pain medications did you take? My biggest problem was the pain/limitation of performing normal daily activities. I did not like to use medications unless necessary, but took anti-inflammatory medications to manage pain and flare-ups, and when intense periods arose, I was prescribed steroid pills or injections, or used relaxants to help my body calm down and regain mobility.
- How was your lifestyle? What could you do or not do? How did you feel both physically and mentally, emotionally? My lifestyle was getting more and more constrained, having difficulty walking up/down stairs, sitting on a plane or car for extended periods, sleeping, walking, and regular exercise. I felt frustrated and far too young and healthy to be so physically limited -it made no sense as to what was causing the problems. I was willing to try just about anything. Mostly I just wanted to get my life back.
- What sort of services or therapies did you receive before? What was your outlook for your future? In addition to good medical care/advice (from my internist, sports doctor and back surgeon), over several decades I have had received treatment and/or advice from chiropractors, physical therapists, personal trainers, Pilates instructors, and myself. But I felt I needed someone to consider the interrelationship between all these things (the back, the knees, the hips, the way I walk, the way I stand, my posture, rotation, strength, mobility), how they are impacting each other. I needed a new approach. And an approach I could manage myself long-term.
- How long have you been receiving MFR? What was the difference between other forms of therapy? My first consultation was in October 2017, and I could tell the benefits right away. After that first session, I was amazed at how much better I felt after just one treatment, but I had a lot of issues. Izabela earned my trust through her ability to evaluate my body, identify and articulate the issues that needed to be addressed, and map out a plan involving my whole self and my active participation. I fully invested myself in following the advice and direction and the benefits were immediate and lasting.
- How long did it take for you to start experiencing like something was shifting in your body and how you felt? I felt improvement after the first treatment, but I experienced tremendous results and benefits after a few weeks of therapy. The initial course of treatment spanned 6 weeks of time in October and November, resulted in four appointments scheduled for 2-hours of therapy (a combined 8 hours of treatment). My mobility and outlook were vastly improved after those first few weeks - I was in a much better place physically. I followed up with one more appointment in January 2018 to see what was working, and what needed adjustments. In March 2018, a new problem was occurring in one of my knees and Izabela prescribed a new series of at-home exercises for me to slowly recalibrate, build strength and address the issue. I could feel the change in my body, and my friends and family could tell the difference as well. Thanks to the treatment, wisdom and at home-exercises, I had gotten my life back.
- If you do not mind sharing some of your insights? What did you discover was holding you back form healing?
- First, I knew that I needed to approach my body (and all its aches and pains) holistically and in an integrated fashion, rather than one component at a time. Even though I knew what was needed, treatment through MFR with Izabela was the first time I achieved that. What I didn't realize at first, was the importance of all the connective tissue, the problems it can store and the role it plays. The MFR approach unlocked physical restraints within me that were not being addressed through any other means.
- Second, I came to understand that my physical maladies were negatively impacting my emotions and stress levels; likewise, the stress during a particularly tough year in my life was impacting my physical self too.
- Third, I learned how to listen to my own body. I have now experienced, first-hand, that the area of pain is unlikely to be the source of the problem. And, through the MFR treatments and Izabela's ability to listen to my own body, I am better at doing it myself. As a result, I am more in tune to what is happening, better able to understand and manage issues as they arise, and to seek the right kind of help when needed.
- How much home program have you been doing? How much you were committed to feel better in a natural way? I have fully embraced the home program. I do the prescribed exercises at least once a week wherever I am, and most often twice a week. If I don't do them, I immediately experience the downside. Although I was diligent from the beginning, I previously looked at these exercises as an obligation to add to a very full list of things to do. I did not always want to do them. But my attitude has changed. I know that these are the very exercises that are keeping me strong - and making it possible for me to do all the things I want to be able to do and that I enjoy and love. The exercises have become routine, and a therapy in and of itself. I make sure to make time for this. It now feels like a gift to myself and to everyone else who relies on me. No matter how much time it takes, it takes less time to do the exercises than the cost of not doing them.
- How are you feeling these days? How much medication are you taking? How are you feeling physically and emotionally? I feel like I have my life back. Despite having gone through the most difficult year of my life, I am stronger than ever and more grateful than ever before.
- Do you feel the correlation between the way you feel physically, emotionally and mentally? Most definitely. Just as the hip bone is connected to the thigh bone, your emotions can have a significant impact on your physical state and vice versa. That is common sense, yet it is easy to lose sight of. Treating the mind and body together multiplies the benefits.
- What is your outlook now on your future, health and wellness? Excellent!