Another week has passed during our "new normal" and the JFCS team continues to adjust and respond to the needs in our community. We'll be sharing weekly updates on our agency, new programs, and other resources for as long as needed to weather this storm,
What are we doing right now?
We are working with all available resources and making new partnerships to ensure a network of food relief in Mercer County...
- Last week, we connected with the Capital Area YMCA to provide them with pre-packed bags of groceries including limited fresh items, to support displaced families currently living in local motels/hotels
- The Kosher Cafe has seen steady attendance with our to-go format. The cafe provides a hot lunch 4 days/week for low-income seniors. We have even seen new attendees in the last week as word has spread about this resource.
- We have connected with new food distributors to ensure we have stocked items for our April pantry hours for our on-site Yvette Sarah Clayman Kosher Food Pantry and as-needed support by our Mobile Food Pantry
We recognized an increased need for mental health support as everyone faces the impact of the current health crisis.
- Our team will be hosting weekly webinars to provide coping skills, information, and resources. The next one is scheduled for this Thursday, April 2 at 5:30 PM "Honoring the Holidays While Apart" co-hosted by Shirley Bellardo, Director of Clinical Services and Beverly Rubman, Chaplain. The webinar will address the emotional aspect of celebrating while separated from family, friends and places of worship. Join on Thursday by following the link or call in to 1-312-626-6799 and enter Webinar ID: 902 241 228.
- We are now offering Phone "Drop-in" Hours where you can connect one-on-one with a JFCS counselor who can provide personalized tips and support. Drop-In hours will be Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 10 AM - 12 PM, Tuesday & Thursdays 5 - 7 PM.
- If you are seeking ongoing counseling, we are taking new intake calls. Connect with our Intake Coordinator at 609-987-8100 Ext 102.
We initiated initiated weekly Zoom calls for the teens in Gesher LeKesher and Jewish Community Youth Foundation (JCYF). The calls give the teens a guided presentation on a topical subject and allows open discussion and connection over the current challenges.
is updated regularly with blog posts from our team and new links to resources.
What is in the works?
- We are working to schedule a Caregiver Support Group via Zoom to continue providing an important connection for those who are facing increased challenges when serving as a caregiver during the health crisis.
- We are identifying resources to be able to provide Kosher for Passover meals and additional food items to seniors.
What can you do?
There are many unknowns still facing us all during the COVID-19 outbreak. We continue to welcome your calls for help - whether it is counseling or food or senior support. Continue to care for yourselves, mentally and physically. And remember we are in this together, JFCS is in this with you.
Administrative staff will be available by phone to answer any questions
Monday – Thursday 9 AM – 5 PM and Friday 9 AM – 4 PM.