You are receiving this newsletter as part of the Joseph Sears School
Parents' Volunteer Association Community.
In This Issue
- Sears School Greater Chicago Food Drive
- Share Your Table for Thanksgiving Program with Northwestern University
- ECGC Invitation to hear Dr. Tim Hayes, "How do we Speak about Identity and Race?"
- New Trier Placement Information
- New Trier Parents Assocation District Dialogue with Dr. Linda Yonke
- Collecting Grand Food Receipts
- Donate to the JSSPVA through Amazon Smile
- Marlas School Lunches
What is Going on in the Next Two Weeks?Dates to Remember:
- November 23 - No School - Thanksgiving Break
- November 24 - No School - Thanksgiving Break
- November 25 - No School - Thanksgiving Break
- November 28 - Late Start 9:20 a.m.
- November 29 - End of 1st Trimester
- November 30 - ECGC Talk with Dr. Tim Hayes - 7:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Room C234
- December 1 - Board of Education Committee of the Whole Meeting - 5:00 p..m. - LTC
- - Winter Orchestra Concert - 7:00 p.m. - Nygaard Auditorium, Sears School
- December 2 - Fall Panther Pride and Student Awards Assembly - Nygaard Auditorium
- December 3 - New Trier High School Placement Test for 8th Grade Students - 7:45 a.m. - New Trier High School, Northfield Campus
- December 5 - Geogrpahy Bee - 4th Grade Preliminary - Lunch - Room 152
- - NTPA District Dialogue with NT Superintendent, Dr. Linda Yonke - 7:00 -8:30 p.m. - New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Room C234
- December 6 - Geography Bee - 8th Grade Preliminary - Lunch - Room 152
- December 7 - Geogrpahy Bee - 7th Grade Preliminary - Lunch - Room 152
- December 8 - Geography Bee - 6th Grade Preliminary - Lunch - Room 152
- 2nd Grade High Tech High Touch Event - 8:20 a.m. - In Class
- December 9 - Geography Bee - 5th Grade Preliminary - Lunch - Room 152
- Dececember 10 - Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament - All Day - Marie Murphy School, 2921 Illinois Road
Sears School Greater Chicago Food Drive
The Student Advisory Board is again spearheading and organizing the Sears School Greater Chicago Food Drive. T
his Fall food drive has been a decades long tradition here at Sears. The details of the drive as as follows:
When: Starting Friday, November 11 - Until November 21st (two weekends to shop
Where: In all of the classrooms there will be a box for you to put all kinds of food!
What: Almost all foods will be accepted, boxed dry items, canned beans, peanut butter, tuna, canned vegetables, canned fruit, stew, jelly, canned chili, soup, pasta sauce, flour, sugar, and non-perishable foods (not just cans).
Why: To help bring food to those you don't have it.
Share Your Table for Thanksgiving Program with Northwestern University - 8th Year Anniversary!
Bring the world to your Thanksgiving table... "Share Your Table for Thanksgiving" with Northwestern International & American students, scholars and/or their families!
The International Office seeks friendly hosts in the Evanston/Chicago area for our eighth
annual "Share your Table for Thanksgiving" program! We will be matching local Evanston and Chicago community members with Northwestern International students, scholars and families who are interested in experiencing an American Thanksgiving dinner. And new
for 2016's program, we will be inviting Northwestern American students to also join this program as not all Northwestern students are able to travel home for the holiday.
The International Office will coordinate the matching process between hosts and interested students, scholars or families - all necessary contact information will be shared with both hosts and students so you can make arrangements. Looking to learn more about this program? Check out our
with photos from 2015 and 2014 programs, and testimonials from previous hosts and our international students.
ECGC Invitation to hear Dr. Tim Hayes, "How do we talk about Identity and Race?"
Junior High parents are invited to "How Do We Talk About Identity and Race?" on Wednesday, November 30th, 7:00-9:00 pm at New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Room C234. Is it OK for us to talk about race? What can we all do to understand our own racial identity? How can we identify and explore our bias? Come continue last year's conversation with the ECGC Parent Group, other parents, and experts to learn how we can help our kids and ourselves talk about the issues surrounding the topic of race in our society. Discussion to be led by Dr. Tim Hayes, NT Assistant Superintendent of Student Services, and Pat Savage-Williams, NT Special Education Services Department Coordinator. We will also explore the format and some topics that our kids will be discussing at the February All-School Seminar.
for additional information about this event and other programs sponsored by the ECGC (Expanding Conversation Growing Community) Parent Group. Join the conversation!
December 3rd is New Trier Placement Testing for 8th Graders
New Trier Placement Testing for all 8th graders in the district will take place on Saturday, December 3rd at the Northfield Campus from
7:45am-12 noon. Bring pencils, calculator, water and snack.
There are often many questions regarding this process. Please click on the attached document for answers to frequently asked questions.
New Trier Parents Association (NTPA) District Dialogue with Superintendent, Dr. Linda Yonke
NTPA FALL DISTRICT DIALOGUE HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR
MONDAY, DECEMBER 5, 7:00-8:30 PM,
C234 NORTHFIELD CAMPUS (NOTE NEW LOCATION)
Join Dr. Yonke and other administrators to learn what's new in the district including a new Athletic Director, Phase 2 construction, and Superintendent search.
Collecting The Grand Food Receipts
The Grand Food Store's Food for Funds Program will pay our school 3% cash back for every dollar spent at The Grand! Bring your receipts from The Grand to school from now until January 4. We can earn 3% cash back on ALL pre-tax purchases at The Grand! Teachers will collect receipts. The grade that earns the most money wins a special prize!
Donate to the JSSPVA through your Amazon shopping
We have signed up to participate in the Amazon Smile program. With this program, if you are an Amazon Prime Member, you can click the link below and sign up at no cost, to have Amazon donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible purchases to the JSSPVA any time you shop on Amazon. We'd love to have your support. Please sign up. When you are looking for us in the list of organizations, look under Joseph Sears School Parent Volunteer Association.
Marlas School Lunches
Sears School offers the opportunity to order daily lunches for students through the Marla's School Lunch. If you would like to order one day or all five days of lunch for your student, please go to marlaslunch.orderlunches.com. All ordering must be complete by 9:00 a.m. on Thursday the week before. To place your order, please follow the process outlined on the Marla Ordering Process Link below.
NOTE: If you do an "automatic ordering" each week for Marla's, do not forget to cancel lunch on Monday, October 31 if your child is going home for lunch and to change into his/her costume.
Questions, please contact: Fiona Byrne-Ferguson