You are receiving this newsletter as part of the Joseph Sears School
Parents' Volunteer Association Community.
In This Issue
- Upcoming FAN Events
- Sears School Signature Book Fair
- 2nd Cup of Coffee - Differentiation
- Veterans Day Celebration and Collection
- Ice Skate Exchange
- Bernie's Book Bank Drive
- New Trier Placement Information
- Donate to the JSSPVA through Amazon Smile
- Marlas School Lunches
What is Going on in the Next Two Weeks?Dates to Remember:
- October 27 - School Board Committee of the Whole Meeting, 5:00 p.m.
- - New Trier Township Festival Band Concert - 8th Grade Band Students Playing in concert, All Welcome, 7: 30 p.m., Gaffney Auditorium, New Trier High School, Winnetka
- October 28 - FAN Event - The Writerly Life", Kwame Alexander, 7:00 p.m., Evanston High School, Evanston
- October 29 - 8th Grade Halloween Party
- October 31 - All School Halloween Parade and Parties
- November 3/4 - Jr. Kindergarten Open House/Information Session
- Fan Event - "Late Specialization: The Surprising Key to Athletic Success", by David Epstein, 7:00 p.m. Evanston High School Auditorium, Evanston and again on November 4 at 7:00 p.m. at Cornog Auditorium, New Trier High School, Northfield
- November 4 - 6th Grade Parent Party
- November 5 - 3rd Grade Parent Party
- November 7 - Fifth Grade Field Trip
- November 8 - Election Day
- Fall Book Fair - Open 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room (MPR)
- November 9 - Fall Book Fair - 7:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. in MPR
- November 10 - Fall Book Fair - Open 7:30 a.m.- 11:30 a.m. in MPR
- 2nd Cup Of Coffee - Topic is Differentiation from 8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m. in the Library Technology Center (LTC)
- November 11 - Veterans Day
- Veterans Day Celebration with 5th and 8th Grades
- Ice Skate Exchange - 2:30-4:30 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room
- November 14 - Board of Education Meeting - 7:30 p.m. in LTC
- November 15 - JSSPVA Board Meeting - 8:20 a.m. - Multipurpose Room
- New Trier Orchestra Festival - 8th Grade Orchestra Students Playing in concert, All Welcome, 7:00 p.m. in Gaffney Auditorium, New Trier High School, Winnetka
- November 16 - Sears School Band Concert - 4th-8th Grades will be playing in concert, All Welcome, 7:00 p.m., Nygaard Auditorium
- November 18 - Drop-In for 7th and 8th Graders
- November 23 - No School - Thanksgiving Break
Upcoming FAN Events
October 28 -
"The Writerly Life", Kwame Alexander
7:00 p.m. - Evanston High School Auditorium, 1600 Dodge Ave, Evanston
November 2/November 3 -
"Late Specialization:The Surprising Key to Athletic Success", David Epstein
November 2, 7:00 p.m.- Evanston High School Auditorium, 1600 Dodge Avenue, Evanston
November 3 , 7:00 p.m. - Cornog Auditorium, New Trier High School, 7 Happ Road, Northfield
Sears School Signature Book Fair - November 8-10
The New Signature Book Fair debuts
. This new, exciting event will present more quality children's literature than ever before in a more organized format so students, parents and teachers will be able to find books that best match student interests and reading levels.
There will be new and noteworthy titles and national award-winning books and authors and a complete selection of all the books in many popular series.
This year, the book fair will also include an exclusive edition of the new book in the Wimpy Kid series.
The Signature Book Fair will be open on the following dates in the MPR:
- Nov. 8 from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Nov. 9 from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Nov. 10 from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Please also consider volunteerting at the fair if you have time. Please click the sign up link below to sign up for a shift. Thank you.
If you have questions, please contact Book Fair Chairs:
2nd Cup of Coffee - Differentiation: Maximizing Student Learning
This Second Cup of Coffee will be presented by Elizabeth Gordon, a differentiation facilitator at the Sears School, on
in the LTC at
. Participants will learn about the philosophy and practice of differentiation as well as how teachers at Sears are differentiating to maximize teaching and learning. We will be sharing practical examples from the classroom and suggestions for supporting student learning at home.
Veterans Day Celebration and Collection
Sears School is inviting all military Veterans in our community to come and enjoy a special lunch with our students this Veterans Day, Friday November 11th.
If you have a Veteran in your family who would like to participate in this memorable event with our students, we would love to include them and thank them for their service to our nation. Please contact
It is our Sears tradition to
honor America's Veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good. We do this by inviting local veterans to speak to our students and also by giving back to our current deployed military. Last year, Sears students sent 40 packages abroad.
Each classroom will participate in putting together a care package that we will be sending to a member of our military deployed overseas. When the military is deployed, they are away from their families and friends for months (sometimes years) at a time. M
aterials will be collected in each homeroom from November 1 - November 11th Veterans Day. Please look for the flyer coming home from your child's home room or advisory.
For more information, please contact Rebecca Quigley at:
Ice Skate Exchange - November 11th
Get ice skates at a fraction of the retail cost. Friday, November 11 from 2:30-4:30 p.m. in the Sears Multipurpose Room. Skates are only $5 of free if you donate another pair. To donate skates, please drop them off at designated bins in the Sears School main lobby or at Amy (Pines) Schmalz's home 557 Melrose Avenue, anytime beginning now until November 11. Please contact Amy if you have any questions:
Bernie's Book Bank Drive is Coming
Joseph Sears School Children's Book Drive will be held November 2-November 15 to support Bernie's book Bank. Bins will be at the front of the main stair case. Start to clean off your book shelves and donate to children in need. Bernie's Book Bank accepts new and gently used books for children birth through 6th grade. If you have question, please contact:
December 3rd is New Trier Placement Testing for 8th Graders
New Trier Placement Testing for all 8th graders in the district will take place on Saturday, December 3rd at the Northfield Campus. There are often many questions regarding this process. Please click on the attached document for answers to frequently asked questions.
Donate to the JSSPVA through your Amazon shopping
We have signed up to participate in the Amazon Smile program. With this program, if you are an Amazon Prime Member, you can click the link below and sign up at no cost, to have Amazon donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible purchases to the JSSPVA any time you shop on Amazon. We'd love to have your support. Please sign up. When you are looking for us in the list of organizations, look under Joseph Sears School Parent Volunteer Association.
Marlas School Lunches
Sears School offers the opportunity to order daily lunches for students through the Marla's School Lunch. If you would like to order one day or all five days of lunch for your student, please go to marlaslunch.orderlunches.com. All ordering must be complete by 9:00 a.m. on Thursday the week before. To place your order, please follow the process outlined on the Marla Ordering Process Link below.
NOTE: If you do an "automatic ordering" each week for Marla's, do not forget to cancel lunch on Monday, October 31 if your child is going home for lunch and to change into his/her costume.
Questions, please contact: Fiona Byrne-Ferguson