A story is told of Binyamin HaTzadik. A woman came to him and said, "Rabbi, feed me!" He replied, "I'm sorry, but our pantry is empty, and there is nothing left in the community tzedakah fund." Then looking at her thin face and desperate eyes, he reached into his own pocket in order to feed this woman and her family.
Wishing you a relaxing and fulfilling summer.
JFS Needs Community Support
for Emergency Food
his year the FEMA National Emergency Food and Shelter Board (EFSP) withheld its annual allocation ($775,000 in 2015) to Santa Clara County as it did not meet their criteria used to determine allocations.
Because of Santa Clara County's astronomical housing costs we have many people living in poverty. Our County's EFSP Board is seeking an appeal, but unless that appeal is approved, Jewish Family Services won't have the funds ($48,000 in 2015) for our food package program this year.
We need to collect over 12,000 pounds of kosher food and we need your help to make this happen.
Ways to help:
- Look for specially marked food donation bins at the Levy Family Campus as well as at local synagogues.
- Hold a food drive. Involve your havurah, book group, walking club, or fellow bnai mitzvah families.
- Have group, school class, or club sponsor a group holiday food purchase or packing event to purchase desired items (list provided by JFS SV), make cards and decorate bags for needy seniors and families. Contact Lori Cinnamon at firstname.lastname@example.org directly to get information regarding High Holiday food packages.
- Sponsor a food package for $36 each. You may do so in honor or memory of a loved one.
- Volunteer to help with our food collection and distribution program.
Food insecurity is a big problem in our community for the clients we serve. We really need your help and support.
For more information, please contact Sheila Monheit at
or call 408-357-7451.
JFS 2nd Annual Equipped to Learn
Back-to-School Backpack Drive
Join us in supporting Equipped To Learn - JFS SV's Back-to-School Backpack Drive.
Your generosity will help ensure that students regardless of circumstances, can start school with a well-packed, brand-new, fully-equipped backpack.
With your help, our children and youth will be off to a great start to the new school year!
||Bonnie and her granddaughter Zoe donate backpacks
The campaign is running now thru July 26th. In this second year effort, our aim is to help even more children and families than last year, with a goal of backpacks for 250 students, ranging from preschoolers to adult learners. The backpacks will go to students of all ages from families that are economically struggling.
There are many ways you can help:
1) Click on any or all of the suggested supplies lists below for each age group. Just print out one or more of the wish list tags and go out shopping! Remember, we need backpacks for all age groups. Deliver your purchases to JFS offices at the Levy Family Campus in Los Gatos.
High School & Adult Learners
2) Pick up a gift idea tag at various stations throughout
the Levy Family Campus and local synagogues: JCC/Levy Family Campus
Congregation Beth David
3) You can purchase school supplies and/or gift cards online via Target.com and have them sent directly to JFS. Just click on Target Online for JFS SV Backpacks.
For more info or any questions about the Backpack Drive, contact Lori Cinnamon at
For all the details on how you can contribute and/or volunteer, go to our Equipped to Learn webpage.
We are honored to once again receive promotional support from Jewish Federation of Silicon Valley.
Emergency Fund for Refugee Services
Donations are urgently needed to support JFS' programs that resettle, protect, and acculturate refugees.
Each year, we welcome refugees who have experienced persecution due to their religion, ethnicity, political expression or sexual orientation. They come from Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Former Soviet Union and various countries throughout Africa. The people we help are fleeing dire and often violent circumstances.
For more details, and how to contribute . . .
Help people in need this summer through JFS.
We Need Your Input!
Help us better understand the kinds of emotional support services and/or parenting skills our families are seeking.
Position Opening at JFS SV
Community and Social Services
JFS SV is seeking a fill this full-time position to manage and oversee programs and services for adults, families and seniors.
Share Your Garden's Bounty
Calling all gardeners! Is your garden overflowing?
Share your bounty with single parent families, isolated seniors, recently-arrived refugees, and unemployed adults who can't afford fresh produce.
For more info, please contact:
We Have a New Website!
It's still www.jfssv.org but has a newer, more up-to-date look with easy-to-navigate menus, and information on all our services, programs, events, donation and volunteer opportunities.
Tell us what you think.
Email us at email@example.com
JFS Quick Links