The Session of John Knox Presbyterian Church met on Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 6:00 PM, in the Conference Room for the Session’s monthly Stated Meeting. Following are some of the items discussed:
1. The 2023 Year to Date financials were reviewed. They had a strong carryover balance from 2022.
2. They are progressing with the search for a new Youth Ministries leader.
3. With Rev. Howell’s departure they are thinking about the shape of the position.
4. The Session approved a Love Offering for David. At his request, all proceeds will be given to the Youth Ministry program of the Greenville Chin Presbyterian Church.
1. There is an ongoing discussion about how to increase the number of children and youth in the Sunday School programs.
2. The Children’s Ministry is starting a new unit, “Jesus Teaches”.
3. The Adult Sunday School classes are doing well.
Christian Mission & Outreach
1. The CMO Series of programs is being actively planned.
2. They have attended a zoom presentation on refugee resettlement.
3. Lake Forest Elementary School program involvement continues and is well received.
4. There is an ongoing discussion about Local versus Global focus for our Mission efforts.
1. The Session approved the following folks for membership at John Knox:
David Gregory by Transfer of Letter from Praise Cathedral in Greer, SC.
Ray and Frances Smith by Transfer of Letter from Greenville ARP Church.
2. Adopt-a-Highway went well yesterday with 12 folks participating.
Wednesday Night Suppers and Sunday Luncheons are planned out through May.
Music and Worship
The upgrade of the Sanctuary A/V system has been a prime focus. The session approved the new A/V system, pending completion of the funding plan. Caleb Stephens presented a brief description of the work, including:
a. The pew modifications to accommodate the new control booth.
b. The live feed to the Security Office.
c. The location of the two screens and the projectors (avoid conflict with Christmas Trees).
d. Quarterly service agreement and user training.
1. In-Home Communion program is going well with 8 servers and 13 participants.
2. $15 Christmas gift cards were given to 26 students.
3. Respite Care planning is ongoing.
4. Serving Saturday is next set for May 6.
5. They are looking to implement training for Care Companions.
Property & Operations
1. The coat rack was installed with hooks in foyer by Kitchen.
2. The Kitchen ice maker is repaired and working.
3. They will be changing our office phone system.
4. The Session approved the replacement of the PDO wing air conditioning systems.
5. They are investigating the cost and feasibility of the Sanctuary boiler replacement.
Children’s Ministry – Susan Felton
1. Reported that she enjoyed the workshops at the recent conference that she attended in Birmingham, Alabama.
2. The kids prepared 35 Valentine’s cards on February 10 for the In-Home Ministry.
3. Vacation Bible School will be June 25 thru 28.
4. Day and overnight camps are available this summer with $100 camperships for our children.
Dr. Gordon Turnbull
1. Thanked Steve, Barry and Annalynn for their work with our youth.
2. Reminded folks of the “I’m In” campaign and encouraged support.
3. Gordon will be leading the Confirmands this spring.
4. Confirmation Sunday is Mother’s Day.
5. Expressed his gratitude for David Howell and his service.
Rev. David Howell
1. Thanked Gordon and the staff at J/K.
2. Expressed his love and thanks to all at John Knox during his time here.
Clerk of Session