The Session of John Knox Presbyterian Church met on Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 6:00 PM, in the Fellowship Hall for the Session’s monthly Stated Meeting. The following are some of the items discussed:
1. Expenses were high for the month due to onetime annual charges. Revenues still exceed budget and expenses are under budget.
2. PDO bookkeeper search is underway.
3. PDO board will meet this month to adopt a new budget.
4. The accountants have finished their annual audit of the Church’s finances.
1. Lynn reviewed the available Adult CE opportunities.
2. They are working on enriching personal prayer life and concentrating on class content over just form.
3. Embark Sunday was a big success with a wonderful meal.
4. Carter Rief is doing well with the Youth. Their Sunday School class will be at 9 AM in the Youth Center.
Christian Mission & Outreach
1. The Lake Forest Elementary supply drive was a big success. They have a coat drive planned for late fall.
2. Lutheran Refugee Services had the first family arrive from Syria on July 28. Both Lori and Peggy reported an amazing response from the Circle of Welcome.
3. Other activities planned are Adopt-a-Highway, Sunday meals at Triune Mercy Center, Greer Relief donations, and Angel Tree.
1. They are discussing ways to share our warm and welcoming spirit.
2. The bulletin boards are a work in progress and looking great.
3. The Committee is still working on the information packets and brochures. They are looking at adding text and QR codes for links.
1. September events will include BBQ meal on Sunday, 9/10 after Church and WNS on 9/27.
2. October events will include a meal after Church on 10/8 and WNS on 10/25.
3. November events will include a possible Family Day at a Swamp Rabbits game on 11/12 and a meal following Hanging of the Greens.
Music and Worship
1. They are reviewing options for the Sanctuary Tapestry relocation.
2. The Session approved the proposed Lenten activities schedule.
3. The Session approved hiring Josh Harrington as our new organist.
4. A/V work is nearly complete, in the final testing phases.
1. August 6 was the breakfast for our students heading off to college. Five students attended.
2. They currently have four teams for In Home Communion.
3. The next Serving Saturday is October 21.
4. They have received a $10K grant for the Respite Care ministry.
5. The Meals for Members program is up and running.
6. The Care Companions are fully staffed and going well.
Property & Operations
1. The HVAC on the Sunday School Hallway and Admin area are still waiting on parts after the lightning strike.
2. There are lots of areas that were damaged by the hail storm. They are working with contractors and insurance adjusters.
3. They are still working on the Sanctuary A/V system upgrades.
Childrens Ministry – Susan Felton
1. There were 11 students downstairs for class this Sunday.
2. Worship training classes for rising First Graders will run thru September.
3. Seeds of Service is a new program to help teach the children about Mission and Outreach.
4. The next 8 weeks of lesson plans will parallel this theme.
Dr. Gordon Turnbull
1. Carter Rief is doing a great job. Summer trips went well.
2. Justin is off to a good start. He’ll be working to help build a Stewardship Ministry Team.
3. There were 14 people picking up trash yesterday as part of Adopt A Highway.
4. God wants the Church to thrive to help redeem the world.
Clerk of Session