In an effort to evolve its brand and strengthen the patient experience, Nemours embarked on a significant expansion of its Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children. Designed to take family-centered care to new heights, the expanded facility introduces two new inpatient neighborhoods designed around a central atrium -all designed with input from families of this very special patient population.
The new five-story, 547,547 square foot patient care pavilion is located adjacent to the current hospital and features expanded services to meet the growing needs of children and their families. The building stands out for access to daylight, light harvesting, and bright interiors, and is celebrated for its colorful facade, innovative almond-shaped buildings, cost-saving solutions, and the children's influence on the overall aesthetic.
Located on Alfred duPont's 300-acre estate, the building represents duPont's innovative spirit. The exterior fenestration animates local historic floral gardens using an arbor pattern skin, while arbor supported frames strengthen delicate growth -symbolic of Nemours mission of supporting children.
The Design Challenge
As a patient centered institution, emphasis was placed on the overall patient experience. Facility design and many of the amenities were developed to respond to requests from patients and families, including consideration of private vs. shared rooms, improved accessibility and navigation, more family space, and extended concierge services. In the innovative spirit of Alfred DuPont, the project team was tasked to utilize the expansive natural setting of the mansion gardens and provide access to day lighting for patients, family, and staff.
The Design Solution
- The overall building form evolved from the patient room configuration and operational flows through the unit.
- The eight-bed units increase the amount of clinical attention patients receive, and reduce patient count per clinician when compared with most hospitals.
- Caregiver area was corralled and condensed for convenient clinician access and limited patient disruption to respect the patient's privacy and ownership, as well as their medical needs.
- Large family gathering area in each patient room was designed to be a "home away from home" and provides a comfortable environment.
- Monthly Inpatient Environmental Satisfaction Index rose by 33.97 percent in 2015, a significant 20-percentage point increase in raw scores compared to 2013. Contributing factors: the child feels safe and secure; room appearance and cleanliness; function; comfort for visitors; overnight accommodations.
- Inpatient Monthly Likelihood to Recommend the Hospital to others, Top Box score averages rose by nearly 5.0 percent (in the periods recorded from 2013 to 2015).
- Monthly Overall Rating of Emergency Department Care saw a 10.9 percent satisfaction rise among patient families.
- Architecture & Interior Design: CannonDesign
- Civil Engineer: VanDemark & Lynch
- Structural Engineer: Cardno Haynes Whaley Inc.
- MEP: Affiliated Engineers Inc.
2019 ANDYZ AWARDS Celebration
Join us On Sunday, July 28th, 2019
at Las Vegas Summer Market
in Building C - 174
Celebrate the Year's Best Interior Design!
More Las Vegas Area Events
LVDC and ASIDCANV presents
with Sherwin Williams
on Friday, September 6, 2019
Colormix Forecast 2020 Presented by:
Laurie E. Clark,
Senior Designer Account Executive
The Sherwin-Williams Company
more details coming soon...
Save the Date
Sacramento Area Event
Save the Date
Light Show West in LA
The Leadership Experience: Presented by ASID (EXP) is the ultimate event for design professionals of all levels, from seasoned professionals to rising stars. EXP puts the spotlight on you by focusing on the idea that when you are your best self, you can successfully lead others.
JULY 18-20, 2019
LOEWS ATLANTA | ATLANTA
Experience learning opportunities custom-tailored for your individual goals, whether they include Leading Yourself, Leading Your Team, or Leading Your Firm, taught by experienced faculty presenters. The Leadership Experience offers a unique opportunity to spark creativity, growth, and self-improvement.
The New ASID Academy
A state-of-the-art, user friendly, dynamic, streamlined continuing education experience. Mobile-friendly and responsive, the enhanced and redesigned platform allows ASID to offer the high-quality content you've come to expect, while maintaining your ability to learn anytime, anywhere (with an internet connection) at your own pace and on your own schedule.
Earn IDCEC and AIA-approved CEUs in a variety of topic areas, including the business of design, health and wellness, workplace, institutional, healthcare, hospitality & retail, residential design, and more. And if you're a member, ASID will report your CEU credits to IDCEC on your behalf as an added benefit of using the Academy for your continuing education needs.
ASID members must earn a minimum of 1.0 unit (10 hours) of approved continuing education (CEU) every two years. The current reporting period will end on December 31, 2019, so now is the time to start working on your CEUs! ASID Academy is here to help.
Get an Enhanced Profile Listing on the ASID Website!
Maximize your exposure to the public by
your Find a Pro listing with an Enhanced Profile subscription. ASID Chapter Admins and design industry businesses frequently refer to Find A Pro when someone is looking for an interior designer. Make your listing stand out!