Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Find us on Pinterest

My baby licked my wet hands after I applied hand sanitizer. Is this poisonous?
Contact poison control right away if a child has licked or swallowed hand sanitizer. Swallowing alcohol-based hand sanitizer can cause alcohol poisoning.
Is it safe to use hand sanitizer on my child? 
Handwashing with soap and water is the best way to remove all types of germs from hands. When not available, alcohol based hand sanitizer (with at least 60% alcohol) may be applied to a child's hands by an adult. Apply hand sanitizer and rub hands together until they feel dry.

Will trying to disinfect the walls and the air in my home protect me from COVID-19?
Always follow the label of your disinfectant carefully. Disi nfectants are only effective if used according to the directions. Using without following instructions may put you at a risk of injury. Always remember, more is not better!

*Q&A adapted from AAPCC 
Case #1
A 2 year old child drank an unknown amount of hand sanitizer from a personal sized bottle. The mother called the poison center for assistance. The specialist explained to the mother that since we could not determine the exactly amount that was ingested, the child would need to be observed in the emergency room in case there was a drop in glucose levels. The child did fine and was released from the hospital after a few hours of observation.

Case #2
A poison center specialist received a call from a father explaining that his 3 year old son had eaten a piece of a leftover cigarette that he was using to light fireworks. The father said that he removed most of the pieces from his mouth, but he may have swallowed some of it. The specialist explained that since it was only a small amount ingested, the child could be observed at home. If it had been a larger amount, the child would have needed to go to an emergency room. The specialist provided information on symptoms to watch for. During the follow-up call, the child was doing fine; no further treatment was needed.
July  Newsletter 

To millions of Americans, Fourth of July is a time for fireworks and backyard cookouts. For some it can also be a time of food poisoning and firework injuries. By following a few basic safety tips from the Texas Poison Center Network, we can make sure our holiday fun isn't spoiled. 

  Food Safety: 
  • Clean - Wash your hands, and wash them often, to help prevent the spread of bacteria! 
    • Food preparers should start clean by washing food contact surfaces and their hands before preparing raw meat.
  • COVID-19 Reminders:
    • According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), there is no evidence that COVID-19 infections are associated through the transmission of food. 
    • Do not clean fruits & vegetables with bleach even if you are going to peel them later since it can still seep into your food even if you rinse or peel it.
    • There is no need to employ new food-washing methods, stick to well-known food safety guidelines.
    • Rinse fruits and vegetables under clean, running water. 
    • If you must disinfect the food packaging, make sure you do not apply disinfectant to the food you're actually going to consume.  

  • Separate - Keep cooked and raw foods separate from each other. 
    • Raw meats and their juices should be kept separate from foods that will not be cooked, such as hotdog and hamburger toppings.
    •  It is best to not use the same cutting board for raw meats and vegetables that won't be cooked to avoid cross contamination. 
  • Cook - Don't forget to use a thermometer to help prevent foodborne illness.
    • Just because the meat looks cooked, doesn't mean it is bacteria free.  
    • Beef, pork, lamb and veal (steaks, roasts and chops) should reach 145°F with a three-minute rest time
    • Fish: 145°F
    • Ground meats (beef, lamb, veal, pork): 160°F
    • Whole poultry, poultry breasts and ground poultry: 165°F
  • Chill - Foods that are not handled and stored properly are a breeding ground for bacteria.
    • Leftover cooked meats should be refrigerated within two hours of cooking.
    • If you plan to have a toppings bar with items like mayo, sliced tomatoes or avocado, be sure to keep them cold by placing them on a tray of ice. Be sure to replenish the ice as needed!
Firework Safety: 
  • According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there are on average 180 people who go to an emergency room every day with fireworks-related injuries around July 4th.
  • Burns, lost fingers and blindness are not the only terrible consequences of improper fireworks usage; poisonings can also be a threat. 
  • Toddlers and infants are curious and often explore by putting things in their mouths.
  • Be sure all fireworks are kept up and out of reach of children and pets.
  • Fireworks contain chemicals that could cause injury or irritation if licked or swallowed.
  • The severity of the health issues resulting from ingesting a firework will depend on the type of fireworks and the amount that was ingested
  • Fireworks can also be highly toxic to pets symptoms ranging from seizures to kidney failure can occur. 
  • Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
  • Make sure  fireworks are legal in your area, before buying or using them. 
  • Never throw or aim fireworks toward anyone, and keep them away from houses, trees, bushes, and other flammable materials.
Glowstick Safety: 
  • Remind children not to chew on glow sticks. 
  • They contain an oily liquid, dibutyl phthalate, which is a mild irritant.
  • If it gets on the skin or in the mouth, rinse it off immediately. 
  • Call your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222 if anything more than mild skin or mouth irritation develops.
  • If it gets into the eyes, irrigate (rinse) the eyes immediately. 
  • Be sure to remove any contact lenses. 
  • Use room temperature water and irrigate for at least 15 to 20 minutes.   
If you think someone has been exposed to or might be having an adverse effect from a firework product, immediately call
to reach your local poi son center.You can call this toll-free number from anywhere in the U.S., 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Want more poison information???
Don't forget to check out the Texas Poison Center Network's blog !