WALNUT BUTTERMILK LEMON CAKE
Makes 12-16 servings
Serve as is, with whipped cream and berries or with a lemon glaze made with 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
2 sticks unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
Zest from 3 lemons
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 cups cake flour, plus extra for dusting
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 large eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a Bundt pan with butter. Dust with flour and shake out excess.
2. Combine lemon zest and juice; set aside.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
4. Beat butter with paddle attachment of electric mixer until soft. Beat in sugar and vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in half the flour mixture. Beat in buttermilk. Beat in remaining flour mixture.
6. Stir in lemon mixture. Stir in walnuts.
7. Pour into prepared pan. Smooth top.
8. Bake until a wood skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Top will spring back when gently pressed.