SBE voted on the following business items:
Special Joint Meeting:
- The Board and the Educational Opportunity Gap Oversight and Accountability Committee (EOGOAC) held a joint two hour meeting and discussed the entities' respective statutory duties, respective concerns regarding the opportunity gap, and ways to work together more effectively to increase educational equity in our state.
Presentations and discussions:
- Update from the Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF)- The Board heard from the DCYF regarding its launch as a new agency, its priorities going forward, and other information for the Board to consider during its strategic planning process.
- Public Hearing on School Improvement Goals (WAC Chapter 180-105)- The Board held a public hearing regarding the proposal to make various amendments to two sections of Chapter 180-105 WAC (Performance Improvement Goals) to align district and improvement goals to long-term goals described in the Washington Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) State Accountability Plan. No one signed up to testify during the hearing.
- Update from the Governor's Office: The Board heard from Madeline Thompson, Senior Policy Advisor for Education in the office of Governor Jay Inslee, regarding work the Governor's office is leading related to school safety.
- Governor's Office of Indian Affairs Update- The Board heard from this organization regarding the vital role that the sovereign nations' structure plays in the education of Native American students, as well as its priorities, to inform the Board's own strategic planning process. (The Board has heard from other commissions and stakeholder groups in previous meetings to inform its strategic planning.)
- Charter School Authorizers- The Board heard from the two charter school authorizers in the state, the Charter Schools Commission (CSC) and the Spokane School District, regarding their authorizing process.
- Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB)- The Board heard an update from PESB Executive Director Alexandra Manuel regarding current projects of both the PESB and new Paraeducator Board, as well as how PESB is addressing the teacher shortage and increasing workforce diversity.
- Superintendent of Public Instruction (SPI) Survey Results- The Board heard from SPI Chris Reykdal regarding what the public's top seven priorities for K-12 education were from the 30,000 respondents to the OSPI's survey.
- Expanded Learning Opportunities- The Board heard from a panel including representatives of OSPI, School's Out Washington, and Spokane School District.
- Executive Director Update- The Board heard updates from staff regarding BEA waivers, rule-making, Required Action Districts (RAD), and private schools.
- Student Presentation- The Board heard a presentation from student Board member Joe Hofman regarding the importance of financial literacy in K-12 education.
- Social Studies Learning Standards Update- The Board heard an update from OSPI staff regarding proposed revised social studies learning standards.
- Discussion of School Safety- The Board heard reflections and experiences from panelists: Autymn Wilde (Student Board member), Students and staff (North Central High School, Spokane Public Schools), Mick Miller (Assistant Superintendent, ESD 101).
- You can read more on each agenda segment here.
NEXT BOARD MEETING
September 11-13 in Blaine.
Sign up for
from the State Board of Education on the topics that interest you.